Re: North Wales Tank Wagon

There was a regular traffic in bromine (shipped as bromoethane - more convenient) from the plant on the north coast of Anglesey that extracts it from seawater.

I was told that European legislation prevented such chemicals being carried through the enclosed spaces of the Penmaenmawr tunnel. So instead, they go by public highway - in a totally uncontrolled fashion, through towns and villages right along the N Wales coast, at the mercy of hundreds and thousands of other drivers who, we hope, don't crash into big lorries carrying organic carcinogens.

David N (They say I'm cynical, but what else can you expect...)

I am currently planning a layout based on Llandudno Junction. Several > pictures in my collection of books show train of white tanks in transit to > Anglesey. Indeed I have seen them myself many years ago and recall they > were marked as carrying Ethylene Dibromide or something equally nasty. > > I *think* they have been scrapped now. They, or something similar hung > around a wagon works further up the coast for a while but have gone now. > > As all the aforementioned pictures are mailnly of the loco, does anybody > know where there are good pictures/plans of the tanks themselves? > > Thanks in anticipation , > > Roy. > > > >
Reply to
David N

If it is any help, I saw a white tank, marked chlorine, standing on one of the sidings on the Llangollen, maybe at Deeside Halt, this May.

Reply to
Martin