Re: What type of paint for resin cast models?

> =>Justin > => > =>I use a plastic primer available in aerosol from Halfords (this also takes > =>OK on any brass or white metal details too) first and then top coat with > =>precision, cherry or humbrol using my airbrush or sometimes depending on the > =>colour e.g. black simply another aerosol from Halfords. This has given me > =>very satisfactory results. > > The most important thing is to wash the castings -- before you assemble the > model. Use either a cleaner made for this purpose, or dishwashing liquid > mixed about half and half with water. Wash ans scrub thorughly, rinse, and do > it againa, then air dry. The mold release agent left behind on resin castings > prevents paint from adhering.. Once cleaned, the resin will accept any > paint, but a primer coat is a good idea for the reasons Justin gives, and > also because it provides a uniform colour underneath the finish coat. I use > light grey primer from a spray can - a light coat is all that's needed. > >

I spoke to the Forgeworld model team, who produce tanks etc. entirely in resin. Their favourite is to soak all the items in flat coca-cola overnight before scrubbing to remove every last trace. Models treated in this way then superglued together are very strong and take paint brilliantly. A trick if you like painting in inks is to leave the release agent on the part you want the effect on, then when subsequent paint layers are applied (watered acrylic) it gives a nice self highlighting effect.

Reply to
Mark W

Possibly paint and 'gloss' varnish the model. Then weather and apply a thin matt varnish over that. It also depends on the paint finish.

Reply to
Mark W