Sea moss?

Forest in a Box or 'sea moss', does anyone know exactly what genus, species this is, I have an enquiry from a chap in the US

TIA

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Mike wrote:-

If you mean "Irish Moss" - a type of seaweed commonly used in beer making - the latin name is Chondrus crispus.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Thanks, not sure what it is he is doing (have asked) and there seems to be a lot of 'sea moss' of different types, generally I gather they are ' Any branched marine bryozoan resembling moss.'

Reply to
Mike

Salvé kim skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m17.aol.com...

When I lived in Ulster they had a seaweedie sort of thing called dulse (just one of atleast spellings for the name...!!!) which being salty made you drink I dont remember it being crispy though :) Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Another edible seaweed is samphire - both are used in salads.

Reply to
MartinS

Hi all,

I think the seweed connection is a red herring! This is from Chiltern Seeds online catalogue:

Genus: TELOXYS Species: ARISTATA Variety: 'Sea Foam' Family Name: Chenopodiaceae Catalogue No.: 1235A English Name: Tumbleweed Description: A real novelty in every sense of the word. And a plant for your dedicated model maker as little chunks of this fascinating plant are sold for use as model shrubs and trees for miniature track-side and road decoration. 'Sea Foam' describes well the intricately shaped form in which the myriad of tiny stems of this plant entangle themselves, more the framework of a loofah than your average plant. The insignificant flowers open green then, with the rest of the plant, turn reddish-maroon and finally to reddish-brown, the whole being outstanding as an everlasting. At first the plant is a very slow grower, then, as flowering time approaches, it leaps into action and grows, our supplier's word, "explosively". A plant of the Gobi Desert. 14 ins. Classification: Annual, Hardy, Half-Hardy Price: £2.08 Guide prices for information only: Euros: ? 2.98 US Dollars: $ 3.86 The website address is

Tony Comber

Reply to
TonyComber