The New French AGV

    This has to be the largest rail model in the world ever! The motors operate using permanent magnets!! How much from Bachmann I
wonder?
    Built & developed at La Rochelle just as the 3 models of TGV before it. Pity that La Rochelle is still waiting for a proper TGV service to its station!
Regards
Peter Abraham wrote:

I've long suspected Switzerland is just a giant model railway, and an unrealistic rabbit warren type of layout at that.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Arthur Figgis wrote:

... but it's a _reliable_ model railway!
Greg.P.

And it runs on non-polluting hydro-electric energy!
--
Martin S.

"MartinS" wrote

All energy creation is polluting. Pollution was created in building the hydro-electric plant in the first place.
John.
John Turner said the following on 06/02/2008 08:26:

I think the Icelanders have the best solution - just use the heat that comes out of the ground!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Ah but do their geysers have de-sulphurisation plants fitted? ;-)
John.
John Turner wrote:

No John, the heat is extracted through heat exchangers, not by piping the geysers direct into your shower! ;-)
Greg.P.

Pity - it could add a whole new experience to a bidet!

Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

There is/was a thermal power station on Cornwall/Devon somewhere - I can't remember if it is/was purely experimental or whatever.
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:22:29 +0000, beamendsltd

The Geothermal scheme in Southampton claims to be the first in the UK,some details on this page here. http://www.bbm.me.uk/Portsdown/PH_450_Energy.htm
I remember for a while after the first well head was completed before a decision to continue the project was made there was a very impressive Billboard describing this wonder project of the future. This was somewhat let down by the fact that the wellhead was protected by nothing more elaborate than a standard 6 by 4 garden shed that could have been purloined from someone's allotment. Ironically this was on the site that once was the towns power station which to bring us back to rail matters had its own short branch connecting to a transfer siding right at the west end Southampton tunnel. Worked by a trolley pole equipped steeple cab loco. Hence Southampton had an electric train many years before the third rail arrived. Would be an interesting feature to copy for a layout. The old Tri-ang loco would be a candidate and easy to upgrade.
G.Harman

And on a parctical front, daming up a valley isn't terribly ecological, and tends to pee the valley's occupants off a tad.

Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:19:15 +0000, beamendsltd

If global warming keeps up, then the valley might get flooded anyway :-)
Jim.
Jim Guthrie wrote:

Na, Gordom will just ban it and it will all be alright ;-)

Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
beamendsltd said the following on 06/02/2008 11:24:

Ban it? Wot, and miss an opportunity to tax it instead?
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
beamendsltd wrote:

I know village called Vaugeny in France where locals were most pleased with the compensation that got when their valley was dammed.
Chris

Village of the Dammed ?
Cheers, Simon

Indeed - as are the French in general over such issues, hence they have nice by-passes, high speed rail, etc. rather then us who get the Weymouth by-pass, which is clearly desperately needed to allow the ex Navy base on Portland with its superb port to be explioted. This has cost something like 24million without a single bit of construction. It's now being opposed by the pinko's on every single purchase order, likey to double that figure, still with no construction - it's not even the locals who are opposing it! That's something approaching 50million that is not available to spend on hospitals, NHS dentists, another car for 2-Jags etc, or even to make a start towards re-instating the Portland railway line - sadly never going to happen, as it would have to cross Radipole Lake, which is a shame as Portland would apparently make an ideal container terminal - interesting fiction to model though.

Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb

At least their ongoing operation doesn't leave a "carbon footprint" or contribute significantly to "global warming"
("Global warming"? Tell that to all the people in Canada - and China - who are buried under snowdrifts or suffering bitter cold.)
Incidentally, a large wind generator not far from where I live is situated right next to a nuclear power plant. To provide backup power if the reactors have to be shut down?
--
Martin S.

John Turner wrote:

Face it, human existance is polluting - we only have the choice of how much we pollute.