Traction and Rolling Stock - Norton Fitzwarren

Hi,

Does anyone know what services (i.e. what locos or coaches) would have run from Norton Fitzwarren up the Minehead and Barnstaple branches around the mid 1960s including any regular-ish freight services. I have found that there was a King class Paddington to Penzance service (Cornish Riveria Express) that would have gone along the main line as well as a Castle headed 'Torbay Express' funnily enough to Torbay.

I have ordered some books about the area but these are taking a long time to arrive from the shops!!

I would appreciate any information you might have.

Thanks

Luke Briner

Reply to
Luke Briner

By around 1963/1964, most traction would have been diesel - dmu's on the passenger services - single car railcars on some trains. Freight - if any remained by then might have been a Hymek or a D6300 class. Before the end of steam, on the branch passengers you would mostly get 4500 Class 2-6-2 tanks, or a Pannier tank. Other small 0-6-0 & 2-6-0 classes might also be expected - if you can find an old Ian Allan locoshed book for about 1955 - 1958, check the allocation for Taunton shed and that will give you an idea of what locos worked the branch lines.

On the main lines, Kings lasted only until 1962, Castles, Halls, Granges & Counties a year or two longer, but the West Country was an early conversion to almost total diesel operation, so you would get Warships, Westerns, Hymeks, with Peaks on through trains from Birmingham & beyond, joined by Class 47's from about 1963.

Bevan

Reply to
Bevan Price