Train operation - Cards and Tokens?

Whilst browsing various model railway websites, I came across this method of operation.

_Cards or Tokens_

The idea is that you or your club make up a number of "playing card" style cards from any available material. On one side of the cards, you write or print a particular railway related scenario. For example :-

Card 1. Passenger train "A" moves from station x to station y. Card 2. Goods train "B" moves from yard b to siding a. Card 3. Shunter "C" moves wagons 1,5,8. from siding a to siding b. Card 4. Express "D" runs through station y and stops at station x.

And so on, (as many cards as you like).

The pack is shuffled at the start of operations and the first card is turned over or dealt out to members of a club. When the first task is completed the next card is turned and so on. Train movements are now controlled by a 3rd party (the cards) thus giving the operator(s)added realism and purpose. When, or if, you eventually achieve the objectives outlined on your particular cards. Shuffle the pack and start again.

Has anyone used this system and what do you think of it?

Regards,

Eric Williams

Reply to
Eric Williams

card"

operator(s)added

objectives

again.

I must say that as part of a system to incorporate *specials* within a time-table it might well work, as for a way of operating I can see bringing far to many conflicting movements - something that the real railways attempts to reduce to the minimum...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If you are of a shunting mind its a good way to pootle around your layout, do a card for each wagon, shuffle and deal, say 6 to leave, then shunt that into a train ready for collection, I use it on my miniature shunting plank as an excuse to have something bigger visit.

Reply to
estarriol

A much better route is to have an operating timetable with full details of trains, locos, platforms and shed movements, and then use cards to introduce extra vehicles (simple strengthening, family saloons, horse box etc) for passenger trains, and goods specials (cattle and sheep sales, farm removals), and breakdown or S&T or permanent way repair trains, to introduce variety. Goods consist can be a matter of throwing dice to pick wagons.

Ken.

Reply to
Ken Parkes