Transfer sidings

Does anyone have any nice pictures of transfer sidings between narrow gauge and standard gauge in the UK? I'm not even sure if it would be prototypically right, but the little men have expressed interest in a narrow gauge mine or quarry working meeting the branch line, and who am I to argue?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

You could look up the Leek and Manifold, they had narrow gauge transporter wagons which carried a full size standard gauge wagon. I think someone does a model for it, or its a fairly easy plasticard job.

Alternatively, there are a few industrial/quarry lines where the narrowgauge arrived on a wall above the standard wagons so that unloading of the quarry output from narrow to standard was by gravity.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

No specific links, but if you google Ffestiniog Railway, specifically Blaenau Ffestiniog and Minfford, you should get some ideas. You'll need to be looking no later than about half a century ago though!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I have some in J.D.C.A. Prideaux The Welsh Narrow Gauge. Will give you = a link to some scans after I have don them and Put them on my web site

Reply to
Trev

Done There big as they will print at 200ppi the largest being a two page = at about 8 x 12 and a bit

Trev

to some scans after I have don them and Put them on my web site

Thanks, and to the others - Google is not much help yet so I might be forced to buy (yet another) book, if I can find a god one.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Theres one good photo in Bob Essery - 'Frieght Train Opeeration for the Modeller'. Shows transfer of limestone fron 2'6" narrow guage to standard.

Advantage of being an excellent read and must have reference book.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Possible option would be the reverse of the L&M, the GWR and LNWR both operated standard gauge wagons to transport narrow gauge slate wagons down to the docks.

Rough sketch is first pic on

Easier to get the narrow gauge wagons onto the transporters than the other way round methinks.

Regards

Mike

Reply to
Mike Smith

There's a picture in August 2009 issue of Rail Express that shows the transfer shed at Gathurst sidings which were still in use up to the late 70s.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Nigel Cliffe" wrote

There's a fabulous video of the L&M (on You Tube from memory) which I think shows the loading of their transporter wagons.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

You are a wicked man, I have spent yet more money :o)

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Yes but you should enjoy reading it. Unfortunately you may then regret you didnt get it before the layout was started :-)

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon