Work in progress...

I've not taken any pictures of the layout under construction because the mess has been too horrific, but I'm now clearing off the benchwork and laying the track. Right now I am preparing the station and will be laying out the track and points shortly. One important goal was to be able to stop a near-prototypical train in the main station and here's an A3 pacific with 14 coaches, and as you see there is room to spare.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

No excuse for those fast approaching long winter evenings now. Like the look of the substantial benchwork.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:12:29 +0100, "Keith J Patrick" said in :

Heh! The wiring is going to take for ever, I fear, even though it is nice'n'easy DCC.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I've started adding some notes and pictures:

    *
    *
    I'd be interested what other tools people think are essential or handy, and other people's take on pinning track.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

Re: tools for track laying: 100 watt soldering gun with fine tip, a sponge to keep the tip clean, and a two pr three blocks of steel or aluminum (aluminium) as heat sinks.

Re: Pinning track: I do it just to keep the track in place until I've added the ballast. Which is supposed to happen pretty quick, but sometimes takes years. These modern contractors, you know - they promise to do the job next week, but they never tell which week it will be next to.... ;-)

When pinning track, do not drive the pin too deep. The track (sleeper strip) should float just a little above the underlay.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Pin pusher is better then a hammer.

Trev

I have a home made pusher; flat headed nail with criss-cross pattern on head hammered into a shaped block of wood. Must have made it about 35 years ago, it still lurks in a toolbox.

Not as sophisticated as the commercial ones, but worked fine for years of using Peco N.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

On Tue, 12 Aug 2008 08:08:39 +0100, "Trev" said in :

I have a pin pusher but it does not work (IME) when pinning to plywood. The pins just bend.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?