Variable delivery dates from hornby

Have been waiting ages for the latest livery Duchess - Br with BRITISH RIL on the tender. Saw last week that they were in the bigger internet shops (eg Rails) yet mine from the local toy shop still hasnt arrived and Hornby say 'This order is being processed now, should be with the shop next week at the latest'.

I used to praise hornby for all shops getting new items in within a day of each other, has anyone else noticed this change ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Just because it's in the advert doesn't mean it exists...I found this out when ordering a Trix BR Standard Class 5 from a certain trader (who is still in business) and sending off a postal order for £5-17-6 in the late 1960s. The model never appeared (it was around the time that Trix gave up on the UK), but it took a letter from my father's solicitor to get the money back. Brian

Reply to
BH Williams

Were they *actually* in at Rails, or were Rails very confident they would be getting stock within a few days/week to fulfill orders? I know nothing about how Rails do buisness, but I'll bet they (and everyone else) are under great pressure to be the "first" to get new lines in stock. I see this in my line, where the big boys will put some effort into being seen to be "first" when I'm fully aware that the new widgets won't be despatched for a few days. It's marketing I suppose.

Just a thought.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Yep both Rails and the personally disliked Hattons sent mails out saying it was in stock and both show a quantity in stock on there sites.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

So on ones's actually got one in their hands. That's not quite the same thing as a web site saying they have stock, necesserily....... ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

whats your middle name - Thomas ? Dont know if anyone has - please anyone, do you have one ?

Experience and anecdotal evidence says when these shops and mremag say the model has arrived it is in stock and available to purchase.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

How much did your father's solicitor charge to write the letter? Or did he do it pro bono?

Reply to
MartinS

Perhaps the suppliers and / or Hornby are awaiting the new prices ?

$2m-for-Hornby.aspx ..... and I thought they moved manufacturing to China because it was cheaper ?

Nice place to live and work :-

I thought it was now illegal in the UK to offer items for sale if they do not actually exist ( unless they say something like "stock expected in next few days" )

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Nothing- he probably owed dad money....