Worth Going to Warley? - over crowding?

I am considering going to warley for the first time on Sunday , taking with me my 3 year old son. I have heard in the past that it suffers a lot from over crowding,pushing, not being able to see layouts, not child friendly etc etc etc. As I am most concerned about the safety of my son and having a good day out what do people think ? has the over crowding been solved, with less josling than in the past? or is it not a place to take small children for the reasons above.

not trying to churlish, but would appreciate some opinions

Thanks

Ashley

Reply to
APinn

If you're going on Sunday, it'll be absolutely fine. Saturday's the really busy day, Sunday's usually a little more leisured and you can see everythjing that bit more easily.

But yes, definitely go - it's excellent.

Ian Bartlett

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

I would not take my son on the Saturday, he is 3 too. I would punch any one who pushed us so its not worth going.

Reply to
piemanlarger

You sound like the violent type.

Punching before speaking to them.

I should stay clear of just about any sort of croud when you have your son with you.

best of luck in life.

Reply to
D A Smith

Oh No!!! Anorak Rage!!

:o)

Reply to
UncleWobbly

Reply to
J.R.Alsop

"J.R.Alsop" > I went today, got in at 10am after queing a bit, it was a bit busy, but

I went today. arrived just after 10 and left about 4.

i have a 3 year old and didn't take him.

i wanted to look at the trade stands and he has v limited attention span for those and i wouldn't have had a good look.

He would have been all right if we had just spent a couple of hours there and had concentrated on Thomas, the lego set, that big thing with clockwork and steam tinplate trains whizzing all round it, perhaps 2 or 3 of the american "n"s, that "o" with the rocking boat behind the pier and I could probably have persuaded him to stay for 10 minutes at "Ashrigg" (the last 2 are my personal favourites.)

I would rather take him to a smaller local show with less to see and more chance of finding him when i lose him. he would have enjoyed it just as much.

But then you might have a more dedicated three year old than me.

ken PS - i'll take him swimming tomorrow.......

Reply to
Ken Wilson

No, its quite simple. If you /he / they do not have enough respect not to push a father with a young son so you could look at whatever, I would not have enough respect not to flatten you / he / they.

as it was, I saw little pushing and the kids always found a nice safe spot at the front of layouts, much better than last year.

Reply to
piemanlarger

I take it most of the 'pacifist' comments are from people who havn't seen their children threatened and frightened? Having seen the contempt many so called 'adult' modellers have for children at shows I no longer take mine. No wonder kids are going more for video games! Mike H

Reply to
jimedvic

I have to agree with the sentiment as I have taken my son to many shows over the last ten years. There are many so-called "adults" who are distinctly non-child friendly. To some extent this can be appreciated as many adults do not properly control children and little excited hands get everywhere and touch many things they should not unless they are properly controlled. Likewise many "adults" take the view that the child will react in the worst possible way irrespective of parental control.

Unfortunately it is a fact of life that there are intolerant modellers as well as well mis-behaved children. Having seen the worse than rugby type scrums that have taken place at Bachmann & Farish stands in years gone by I have found it difficult enough as an adult never mind trying to assist a seven year old to make a purchase.

The Great British Public I guess................all sorts ............but then we wouldn't really have it any other way........would we?

Reply to
Yoda

"Yoda" wrote

Over the years I've met many so-called adults in this wonderful hobby of ours who wouldn't have a clue how to be friendly to anyone ......... period!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On or about 2003-12-06, Ken Wilson illuminated us with:

I took my 2.5 year old and we had a great time from 10 to 3. I don't do Bachmann, Hornby or Farish though so we avoided the worst scrums. He enjoyed the 3 rail meccano and the lego, but we spent most time watching the well crafted layouts. On the whole I was ready to move on before he was, no doubt that won't last!

I got to hold the display Trix UP 4000 on MG Sharp's stand which is probably as close as I'll get to owning one. And I think I mananged to avoid drooling too much over Aster's stand. A good show, must remember not to get there early in future.

Reply to
Mark Ayliffe

I think one of the best solutions I saw was in front of the Wantage layout, where they had a specially built viewing platform for the kids to stand on with absolutely no danger of being squashed. The downside was that this restricted access for adults, as only the couple of feet at each end were accessible, and one end was blocked by a pushchair..... Very good layout though.

From a personal point of view, I can't see the problem with letting kids through to the front, as most adults can see over their heads. It really is quite incredible though how selfish some so-called "grown-ups" can be, even pushing kids out of the way to get a better view. It is this minority that appear to be creatng the overall impression of the show, unfortunately.

I would agree with comments other people have made in that there was less pushing and shoving generally this year. I've just got back, and the hall was very quiet when I left at 3:30!!

I just wish they would sort out the traffic problems on the M42 Jcn 6 exit though. Mind you, the "back" entrance to the NEC got at by following the directions from the M6 southbound worked brilliantly. (As I was coming from the South-West, please don't ask why I was coming *down* the M6!!)

Paul

Reply to
Paul Boyd

At in news:FGKAb.18330$ snipped-for-privacy@wards.force.net, Paul Boyd driveled:

I'd class that as across! Mind you surely it's up?

-- If Your specification is vague or imprecise, you'll likely get what you asked for not what you want

Reply to
Abinanezup GbH

So, if someone at the back pushed, and made an innocent person push into you or your son, they would receive the blow on behalf of the perpertrator. How do you figure that out?

I think the 'larger' part of your tag says it all.

Reply to
D A Smith

Leave it, leave it, he's not worth it.

:-)

-- Brian "Not quite an Angel"

Reply to
Brian Watson

Your obviously not a father, or a decent one.

Reply to
piemanlarger

All depends what you mean by a decent one - I'd be deeply ashamed of my father if his first response to a push was a punch.

I'd think he was a brainless thug who ought to use his brain to find out the circumstances first before using his fists (1) because sooner or later he is going to be arrested for assault, and (2) because sooner or later he's going to find someone who hits harder than he does.

-- Brian "Not quite an Angel"

Reply to
Brian Watson

I'm both actually.

But the difference between us is that I'm not prepared to hit someone before I find out what is going on.

Your child doesn't stand a chance with a father having your attitude to life.

Still, Best of luck, there's still time to have a re-think on things.

DS

Reply to
D A Smith

"D A Smith" wrote

Isn't the whole crux of this matter that we ought to be castigating the mega arse-wipes whose only consideration in life is self-interest, and who are prepared to push & shove (or much worse in my experience) simply to get a perceived bargain?

I hear what you're all saying, but you're targetting the wrong guy.

John.

Reply to
John Turner