www.scalerail.co.uk - board questions.

Hi again,

I asked previously about buying a table for a new railway and someone recommend scarerail.co.uk. I may make use of this company. I see on the web site that the legs are 900mm high, seems awful low to the ground? Why are they so low? What height do most people prefer to use? I have a 5 year old who LOVES trains and the extra height may protect the track from him getting over excited and breaking something.

Sorry if these questions seem silly, but I dont want to make a mess of this, especcially with the money being spent - and I really havent a clue about this hobby! :).

These are the options available on the site:

1218NL1200 x 1800mm (4' x 6') no legs £120.00 1218L1200 x 1800mm (4' x 6') with 4 legs 900mm £135.00 1218LA1200 x 1800mm (4' x 6') with 4 legs 900mm and adjustable feet £150.00 Taken from
Thanks for your time,

Gary Whittle.

GW

Well I used them for my boards, 900mm is not really that low, and for my layout in the loft it is a good comprimise to get the biggest layout to fit under the roofspace.

Bear in mind that this is almost 1 metre. Get in touch with they guys at Scale Rail, they can make custom size boards with different leg heights.

900mm is only an indication, you can specify longer or shorter as you wish. I found them very helpful and I emailed a plan of how I wanted the boards to go together and the dimensions of each. Theboarsd go together perfectly and line up with dowels and tighten up with coachbolts and wing nuts. The workmanship is very good indeed.
Reply to
DJO

"DJO" wrote

When you get to my advanced years then you'll consider 900mm (3'0" in proper money) to be hideously low. My boards are an average (the floor's not level) height of 4'6" which is excellent for eye level viewing and also has the advantage of allowing you to "sit underneath" the boards for wiring and similar purposes.

My only regret is that I didn't make then slightly higher.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hi

I made my computer table with legs from Ikea and a separate top.

In your situation I would find a suitable top, fit it with Ikea legs and install some suitable Ikea drawer units underneath to keep various items in, including spare stock ect. Choose carefully and the stock will just fit.

Best of luck

Reply to
D A Smith

Thanks again,

Thats another good point with regards to boards going together. If I buy this 6 x 4 board and then plan on getting another in a few months - will they fit together without much buggering around? :)

Thanks for the quick replies!

Gary.

Reply to
GW

I suppose so, but you would have to do some work. Mine came with the dowels fitted and the holes they mated with pre-drilled. In fact they had actually set the whole lot up before sendign it just to check. I guess you could ask for the boards adjoining your first one to have dowels, leaving you to drill out the required holes in the existing board.

Reply to
DJO

I see your point, however if I wanted 4'6" high boards in the loft, it would have had to be much narrower, not the 15' by 12' circuit I have now! Luckily I am still the right side of 30 (just) so can crawl about under the boards OK.

Djo

Reply to
DJO