You wanna talk trains?

Very recently released from Bachmann/Farish in N-scale were the various 'Peak' diesel classes 44, 45 & 46. To my humble (non-2mm scale orientated) eyes these have to be the best British outline N-gauge model to date. Anyone agree or disagree, and what do they perform like?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I have to agree too, they are beautiful.

If Bachmann/Farish can put DCC in them, then I would be building a n-Gauge layout.

Otherwise, they will become display case items.

Q... will Bachmann bring out OO versions ?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Cornish

Certainly rate these models very highly, particularly the blue 46 with glazed headcode panels. Running is smooth and sweet.

I used my Peak for testing the trackwork on a trainset I was setting up for the young'un. No problems there at all!

Best N Gauge diesel yet? It's pretty close between the Peak and Dapol's mighty 66...

Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam

Unlikely since they already did. To my eyes the N-gauge body shells look more convincing then their 00 equivalents. If one is right then the other is wrong and no amount of weasel words can get Bachmann out of that.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

Interesting that because both N and OO-scale versions appear to be identical in principal proportions, even to the point that the N-scale version has the non-prototypical extension to the right hand side of the buffer beam (viewed from the front of the loco) to accomodate the ETH equipment (which in itself is not included with the N-gauge model).

Maybe it's just that an innaccuracies are not quite obvious in a smaller scale model.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It seem that the Farish Peak is directly scaled down from the 4mm version, as it has the slightly squashed appearance about the nose but does have the seam line moulded in.

The model is so far in advance of the Poole-designed Farish locos we have had to use until now, that any minor niggles can be overlooked, IMHO.

Adam Warr

Reply to
Adam

"Adam" wrote

That was my impression, or at least scaled down from the recently improved OO-scale 'Peak' complete with nose seam, which I believe was (or is shortly to be) produced for Modelzone.

Much to the same mechanical quality as the Farish class 66 - which to my untutoured eye is superior to the Dapol version.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I know several people on the inside at Bachmann Farish, and one of them told me well over a year ago that the Peak would mark a significant step up in quality for Farish products, both detail and mechanical running (sorely needed, the previous stuff is pretty poor compared to alternative US and EU prototypes available from other makers). The early reports seem to bear this out, and I'll probably purchase a couple; they're amongst my favourite diesel locos, and featured heavily in my teenage trainspotting period.

The one I'd really like to know about is the Class04. The Farish website has a rather naughty picture of an OO example (quite clearly has OO couplings). If its that well detailed, I'll be over the moon. Until the

04 appears, the plans to build a mechanism for a Worseley Works etched body have been put on ice, and I'll do another more obscure diesel instead.

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe