Small goods yard facilities

I'm looking for prototype inspiration for the goods yard on my layout (fictional Somerset & Dorset branch terminus) which is currently still at the planning stage. With only minimal space, and wanting to avoid things looking overcrowded, the typical goods shed would be too large really. Something along similar lines to the Ratio SR provender goods store seems a possible alternative - does anyone have any links to photos of similar prototype structures in situ and were these ever used for direct loading and unloading of wagons at the lineside (as an alternative to a more conventional goods shed)? Also, are there any prototype examples of small goods sheds with end (as opposed to side) road vehicle access? And does anyone know of any photos of small goods yards in branch terminus locations more generally?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Ots

How about something like the Ration timber merchants? Its made out of corrugated sheet, and is about half the width of a typical goods shed, so wont over power the goods area.

Reply to
John Ruddy

In message , Matt Ots writes

Seeking similar inspiration for a brand new layout I finally found a book by RH Clark entitled "An Historical Survey of Selected Great western Stations Layouts and Illustrations. ISBN 0 902888 29 3. I had been looking for ages and picked this one up for a couple of pounds in a second hand shop.

It has Pictures and scale drawings of stations and small goods yards with in some cases dated schematics of line upgrades etc.

Tiverton Junction seems to fit the bill, or even Stogumber although the siding ran directly through the open front of the shed with a ground frame at each end and a set of catch points.

Montacute [Taunton side of Yeovil] had a loop off the single main line running past the goods shed which had a loading dock at the side for direct loading/unloading and a small canopy on the other side for roadside linking. However Wrington had a goods shed built at the end of the main platform for direct loading off the main line [no loop]. It appears that road vehicles could only access the end of the shed.

Period may be a problem. For example Wrington finally closed to goods in June 1963 [Passenger closure was Sept 1931].

Cheers.

Reply to
Roy

Midford was pretty basic. The GS was a simple arc-roof type at the side of the track. Plan was about 25' x 17' - that's only 120 mm. You could model this in low relief.

Do you have 'Historical Survey of the S&D by Judge and Potts?

Reply to
Tim Christian

There's a photo in last month's edition of 'Steam World' magazine that shows Midford goods yard with said shed in the background. Could be the sort of thing I'm after if I could find a better picture...

I don't but it sounds interesting. Worth getting?

Reply to
Matt Ots

It has large-scale plans and track layout for every S&D station. Email me privately and I'll scan in the Midford pages so you can judge.

Reply to
Tim Christian