An Interesting Machine Moving Option?

While surfing Ebay, I came across this....

Opinion of this approach?

TMT

Reply to
Too_Many_Tools

That machine doesn't look all that sturdy for a 2500 lb lift, to me.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Product liability insurance probably killed the project, the concept is great for us diy guys if you limit use to your own property. As far as going 90 miles an hour with a

4000Lb load as the seller claims, that seems unrealistic.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I would not lift and transport much more than what is on the picture (garbage bins, though the auction says fully filled with water, which I have hard times believing). Try a mental exercise, what happens when this thing is hauling 2,500 lbs and the truck driver applies brakes to come to abrupt stop.

Ignoramus1648

I would for sure speed up to get a good close look at 90 MPH with it loaded.

wayne mak

Neat idea. And the hydraulics are worth more than the current bid of $154.50.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ

Very clever idea! Regarding the counterweight, I'm not sure it would be needed. The 4 trailer wheels appear to act as outriggers.

Reply to
AL

Looks perfect for running a "rent-a-bin" operation. where they deliver a 3-yard refuse container on a bobtail truck with this type lift on the back, and stack two or three full ones to take them back.

But someone has it right - don't put a lot of up-load on a regular hitch ball, the coupler latch is the only thing stopping a disaster. I'd even be leery about doing it with a pintle hitch and ring.

And the wheels would end up in the way on some picks unless they have a slide for the entire fork assembly forward and back, just like the 'rent-a-bin' trucks. They slide the forks back so they're totally clear of the truck body for loading, raise the load, then slide them forward to move the CG over the rear axle, and set them down onto custom hard points so the load isn't riding on the hydraulics.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

If the device were only used in a stationary manner, with the forks level or tilted back, the design might allow for safe usage without being tied to a hitch or counterweight, even though the device appears somewhat flimsy. The problems would begin to arrise if there was a load toward the end of the forks which were extended beyond the balance line of the forward wheels, especially if tilted forward.

Take this idea a step further and visualize tipping a maximum load forward, especially when raised, and you'll see other forces in action, especially "Momentum". I believe,without a tie down or counterweight, this "Momentum" would immediatly tip the lift over. These moves could be accomplished more safely by exercising good control over a good hydraulic system (is this one?) to move the load so slowly as to reduce the effects of momentum. On the other hand it's been my experience that unexperienced operators can not do this properly and I believe this plus the potentially flimsy looking construction, and unknown quality of the hydraulic system, add up to a potentially dangerous condition. Just my $.02.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

It does look more practicle than my temporary yard-crane

Stupendous Man

I don't think this is designed as a general purpose lift. It does what it is designed to do, unload a semi and transport one pallet to another location at highway speeds. Anything can be misused.

Reply to
Ron Thompson

Looks like you'll be up for the "ugly" of the year award.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger