Can a Syncro 250 be used as a spot welder?

I've google searched and cannot find any info or other posts about the
possible use of a Miller Syncrowave 250 being used as a power source for a
spot welder. Would appreciate any information.
Lane
Reply to
lane
You can spot weld with a TIG torch, but it is not the same as a actual contact spot welder.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote in message >
Ernie
I know, I've done some experimenting since my question.
Using vise grips to hold the sheets in contact, and then holding the tip in one place, and stabbing the pedal. It does work after a fashion. Do you have a better way? On a larger piece it would be hard to get the vise grips in there to hold the pieces, where as a spot welder has tips that actually press the pieces together and deliver the juice.
Could I build such a contraption and use the TIG machine to power it?
Thanks as always Ernie Lane
Reply to
lane
What are you trying to weld. On steel and stainless steel spotwelding is easy and can be done with a $300, 110 volt, Miller spotwelder. I have one. It works great.
Aluminum and copper take huge amounts of power to spotweld.
As far as I know there is no way to run spotwelder leads from a TIG machine. Spotwelders run around 3-5 volts at hundreds of amps.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
What about first drilling a hole where you want to spot? Just put a weight to hold it together as you can see when the joint is close enough. You'll get an immediate puddle on both sides.
Reply to
Zorro
Plain sheet metal and SS, no not copper or aluminum, I'm not THAT crazy. Thanks Ernie, the above is what I needed to hear.
Reply to
lane
BTW for about $150 you can get a hand held spot-welder "gun" from the autobody suppliers like Eastwood.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler