Engines

Kohler, Robin/Subaru, Honda ....... others ....... What's the best engine for a Lincoln welder in the Ranger 250 class? Ease of maintenance, parts availability, longevity, things like that.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not Onan.

Honda's are probably the best, though I have not seen one as an option - but then I have not been shopping lately. Kohler is a lot better than Onan.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Reply to
RoyJ

--A cautionary tale about Honda engines: last night I had occasion to check on the newly-installed generator a few hours after I turned it on. My pal, who's camping in the guest cottage got up early and woke me up to show what was happening. Exhaust consisted of a flame about a foot long; gas can, maybe 3ft away (not enough) was HOT and covered with soot. Close call, yes?

Reply to
steamer

I noticed a problem with B&S when a friend had a go-kart track and had tons of failed engines. For the winter he pitched them all and went to Honda and his MTBF went down I helped him by making the new chain guards and cut the panels for the change in the starter ropes. (40 rental karts) The contractors complain about the quality of the machines just basically shaking apart or cracking cases or heads on stampers, pumps and site generators. They just seem to have declined in the quality. No the odd part comes here in a saving grace to B&S. In the junior dragster class all the engines are modified B&S or B&S clones and they are putting out 50-70hp (No joke) Most of them are billet with sleeves and just physically resemble the B&S castings. No Honda's no others in the class but I know nothing of them so I have no business to speak to what they are. My gen. is a Honda. My Brother's Father in Law is a small engine guy and swears by Honda and swears at B&S for letting quality lapse. Next time your near a highway project or construction site take a peek at what's running. Surprisingly, I have seen more Honda's than anything else. The Honda clones are crap I think we all know that already....

Respects,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

I bought a Lincoln WeldanPower 225 (IIRC) in about 1988. It had an Onan V twin. It ran and ran. No problems. That was then, fast forward to now. Not sure about new Onans. Had one on my motorhome, and it ran fine. Guess it depends if you get one made on a Monday or Friday.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

No the odd part

They HAVE to be B&S engines. And I seriously doubt if even one part was actually made by them.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Ok

Reply to
Rob Fraser

What exactly are they doing to get that kind of power on Alky? I mean my funny car runs 6350 on 90/10 nitro/alky. I see them for sale in Racingjunk.com for 5k (motor alone) I never researched it but if you have a readers digest answer I'd love to hear it.

Thanks, Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser

Perhaps something like this Top Fuel Eliminator class:

"Rob Fraser" asked:

Reply to
jp2express

Depending on what specific size engine (HP), up to about 15 hp I would take a hard look at the Chinese Honda clone engines that are being sold more and more places, and a newer player in the small engine category, also Chinese, is a product line of diesel engines that go from less than 10 hp to over 20 hp. The price per hp for the Chinese gas engines is usually lower than B&S with the price per hp for the diesels are about what the price of a Honda gas engine goes for.

Looks like the strategy of the Chinese manufacturing is very similar to what they are doing with small tractors: Copy a proven design (Honda, or for tractors Kubota), then use their low labor cost and relaxed or nonexistent safety regulations, build a huge factory or many factories, then sell them at a lower price than the poorest design of the competition, and include a warranty equivalent to Honda's. It seems to be working....regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe Brophy

hard look at the Chinese Honda clone engines

engine category, also Chinese, is a product line

for the Chinese gas engines is usually

of a Honda gas engine goes for.

they are doing with small tractors: Copy a

and relaxed or nonexistent safety

price than the poorest design of the

working....regards, Joe

I have one of those Chinese "Honda" gennys. Bout 3000 watts. It seems to run fine with no issues to date.

What is the issues that can come up with them?

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

I did not see any tech. content on the powerplants. Thanks though,

Rob

Reply to
Rob Fraser