Lincoln SA-200 Starter: repair or replace?

Nice. The carb seems to be working fairly well. Have you checked the points and plugs? It is missing a bit when you put it under load.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Nice! Congratulations.

Clearly I need to acquire more 'stuff'.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Shake the carburetor float to check if there is any liquid inside!

Wolfgang

Reply to
wolfgang

Jim, Thanks. I will sell this SA-200. I do not really need it, I bought it to play with it, fix and sell.

I have a great Syncrowave 250, and a great Millermatic 251. They cover all I need to do. I do not plan on a journeyman weldor career, right now.

Ignoramus6732

I have not checked them, but I have a feeling that they were replaced at some point, there is an invoice for various ignition related items.

Ignoramus6732

One would hope so. I bet the oil also is not the original oil that came with the engine. These are frequent maintenance items and the engine missing under load suggest they need some attention.

-jim

Reply to
jim

Jim, I am not very strong when it comes to gas engines. Having seen the video under load, what would you say is the problem that you are seeing?

Ignoramus6732

Ummm, it sounded like it went down to one cylinder when you started welding, and the other cyl. would occasionally fire once in a while. At least, that's what the video sounded like.

You really can't compare industrial tools with kid's toys. On the other hand, it IS nice to be able to get parts for things. Modern, Harbor Freight stuff is REALLY unlikely to have parts available next year, no less

25 years later.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I'd much rather see and hear it in person than over a Youtube video, but since you just had to de-gunk the carburetor, I'd sure lean in that direction. So, maybe the idle circuit is working, but the power circuit is still clogged and causing it to go lean at full throttle. If it ever backfires through the carburetor, that is a sure sign of running too lean. It is also possible the spark plug gap has burned wider, and under full compression is blowing out the spark.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I would guess the miss is due to either a weak spark due to worn/pitted points or a dirty spark plug. In short it could use a tune-up. Take the plugs out and clean & gap them as a start. Their color should tell you if the fuel mixture is good.

Reply to
jim

A sticky governor linkage could cause that, or leaky/oily spark plug wiring. Maybe if you load the 120VDC outlet with a space heater etc you can check the engine.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

A sticky governor linkage could cause that, or leaky/oily spark plug wiring. Maybe if you load the 120VDC outlet with a space heater etc you can check the engine.

jsw

Just make sure the space heater does not have a fan.

tm

Reply to
tm

Missing badly under load on at least 1 if not 2 cylinders. You didn't mention if you looked at the plugs, I'd bet that you have gaps in the .060" to .080" range. A full misfire will give you the smoke and belches out the exhaust.

It runs well enough for you to put the money in it for a full fledged tune up: new plugs and points as a minimum, plug wires, cap and rotor would be an excellent investment.

While you have the plugs out, you should do a compression check. Look for all cylinders even, an old flathead should run around 85psi in moderate shape. Any engine that runs under heavy load for long periods tends to fry exhaust valves. Pull the side cover on the block and set the valves, see if that improves the compression. If not, time to pull the head and grind the valves.

Reply to
RoyJ

"jim" wrote

Checking all those things is what one should do before weld testing it. It is definitely running, but not very well. Arc strength looked intermittent. It takes longer to run to NAPA than it does to tune up one of these little four bangers.

Steve

Heart surgery pending?

Steve B

OTOH it runs well enough now that I'd take a chance on it, if I lived nearby and needed yet another toy.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

The aerosol type works fine due to the propane-ish propellant. The squirt can variety I have found to be a "totally different kettle of fish"

Reply to
clare

Sure, that is what you eventually learn.

Yes it is about as simple as it gets if it is all easy to access. It looks like he may need to remove the shroud on top for easy access, but I can't tell from the pics

-jim

Reply to
jim

I forgot - along with the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, definitely the points and condenser, and make sure the ground wire on the breaker plate is not broken.

Reply to
clare

I'm not sure if they changed the propellant, but in my latest spray can of WD-40 the propellant was carbon dioxide.

Reply to
Yooper

Haven't read the entire thread or the Sea Foam label but I highly recommend another oil change after running the Sea Foam or any other solvent product through, especially since you've been running it rich, especially if the oil now smells like gas.

----- Regards, Carl Ijames

Reply to
Carl Ijames