Lincoln tombstone welder electrical noise

I just finished fixing up an old Lincoln 180 amp AC welder and after running in the wiring to it, it dawned on me that it will likely generate gobs of electrical noise in my house and possibly my neighbors' homes. Don't want to do that, but there doesn't seem to be much out there as far as high current line filters. Any suggestions?

Reply to
carl mciver

I doubt if you can filter where the real problem is and that is the arc itself. Primitive radio transmitters were arc-gap transmitters where a big arc jumped across two electrodes when the key was pressed. This created radio waves on a broad spectrum of frequencies. I don't think there is much generated on or reflected back on the primary power line itself unlike in inverter machines. My TV and FM radio is supplied by cable and there is no detectable interference (by my wife) with these shielded services. Billh

Reply to
billh

Interference is not usually a problem, as Billh said, it's mostly from the arc itself. Probably more of a problem is dimming the lights if your main panel and main feed are not up to snuff. In older neighborhoods or a condo/townhouse with much shared wiring, it might bother the neighbors.

I th> I just finished fixing up an old Lincoln 180 amp AC welder and after

Reply to
RoyJ

I'm sure I've annoyed my neighbors already in the evening with skilsaws, angle grinders, and air tools, but while they haven't complained, I usually do try to keep the noise down, but electrical noise is a whole different thing. I have computers and phones, too, but the phone lines don't come in through the garage, so that isn't going to be an issue. The arc is for sure the biggest noise generator, I just wasn't sure how much would make it back into the AC line. Figured the transformer would be the best filter, so it helps to get the confirmation. I'll just say a short prayer that no one in the neighborhood is listening to AM radio while I'm making light!

"RoyJ" wrote in message news:wljvd.9951$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net... | Interference is not usually a problem, as Billh said, it's mostly from | the arc itself. Probably more of a problem is dimming the lights if your | main panel and main feed are not up to snuff. In older neighborhoods or | a condo/townhouse with much shared wiring, it might bother the neighbors. | | I think that you will find that the welding is not a problem. But using | the cutoff saw, grinder, etc will raise the neighbor's ire more. | Especially since most guys leave the garage door open to let the smoke out. | | carl mciver wrote: | > I just finished fixing up an old Lincoln 180 amp AC welder and after | > running in the wiring to it, it dawned on me that it will likely generate | > gobs of electrical noise in my house and possibly my neighbors' homes. | > Don't want to do that, but there doesn't seem to be much out there as far as | > high current line filters. | > Any suggestions? | >

Reply to
carl mciver