OT: Moving shop-rigging co. needed

Gents,

I will soon be opening another shop in Long Beach, CA. I'm wondering if anyone has had the pains of hiring a rigger to move some of my gear such as mine, as I'm going to keep the Chicago shop open as the Midwest region is pretty busy for me but the ol' body is not getting younger and the sunshine tax seems like it's justifiable (I just can't take half my guns with me :( shit...) I am going to be moving a CNC, a large lathe and a Sunnen CK10, a old Bridgeport as well as three huge snap on tool boxes and half my welders and shop gear. Is there a rigging company that can handle this in one swoop I assume three trucks at least as the CNC is 12k lbs and the Sunnen is around 10k lbs the lathe, Bridgeport and drill press ect. are not too bad but I don't have any reputable or verifiable sources for such a large move (including my house in the burbs). Any one of you fellows have any suggestions or companies you would give props to? I'm just worried about the CNC getting bounced around really. it won't fit in my car-hauler and it's too heavy and center load weight would not work. I have a gantry crane in the shop but I know there is a lot of issues with DOT regs and I need someone well experienced and bonded. Looks like Nov 15th and I can move into the new shop.

Thanks, any help on this is real important.

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL/

Reply to
RDF

Rob, Contact me off list and I might have some suggestions for you. Greg Postma PS: I've sent you a couple of emails regarding the rail road track you were seeking and got no reply. Is your email addy okay?

Reply to
Greg Postma

Greg.

Try the following snipped-for-privacy@robfraser.net (real old web-page from my employment with Andersen consulting, I forgot the root password like a melon head)

or NT snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

I never got the info on the section of track and man, could I really use it!

Thanks sir,

Rob Fraser

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Ya know ya gotta watch every little thing with these computer thingies.....

My newsgroup client showed your address as NT snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com with the whole phrase underlined, not NT snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com....

SO there are two emails wondering around cyberspace looking for you, at the wrondg address.... I sent you a reply, off group. Feel free to call me

Greg

Reply to
Greg Postma

If your gantry crane will handle the weight and you can back a truck in you don't need a machinery mover. Instead find someone (not a rigger/erector, too expensive) locally with trucks and experience hauling machinery. Make sure they'll have enough tarps to cover the equipment properly (after applying rust preventative and plastic sheeting before chaining the load down) and provide enough softeners so the chains don't damage the machines. Do NOT let them leave without covering the load (they like to say they'll do it later) and let them know this is what you expect when you order the truck (s?). The average flat bed will handle around 40,000# so if you have the room you might get it all on. Another, perhaps better, idea might be to put the machines on skids and use an enclosed truck. This way the machines are protected and these vans are usually less expensive compared to a flat bed. As long as you'll have exclusive use of the truck you won't need to crate anything. You'll probably need a rigger to unload however (unless your adventuresome and rent a large fork lift or two; lots cheaper than a rigger). If you can't find a local trucker let me know and I'll hook you up with a couple who've hauled lots of machinery for me. I've only used one rigger in the LA area and I can get you their name if you'd like, however I don't know them all that well. The main thing for both trucker and rigger is GET THEIR CERTIFICATE OF INSURANCE FIRST. Dennis in nca p.s. DOT doesn't care about what you're doing; it's the trucking company that has to comply.

Reply to
rigger