Oversized contactor tubes

I have always liked to use an oversized liner to get more time out of a liner. Now, I would like to use a slightly oversized contactor tube on some innershield, as it is much softer than hard wire.

Is there any downside to doing this? It does make the sticking of wire in the tube less likely, and cuts down on restrictions. I'm getting birdsnesting now, but that is from using a .030" tip on .035" wire. I reamed it out as best I could with a OA tip cleaner, but it barely clears. Will use proper tips today after wifey returns from town.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

You can use an oversized contact tip, but you won't get as good of a current conduction, and it will wear out the tips a bit faster because it is touching at only one spot at a time.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks. Did I miss it, or is there a jump from .035 to .045 with no .040?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

0.040" does exist, but only as a special order for assembly plants. I have never seen it for sale in a normal welding store.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Not the case here in Australia....

Most common of our wire (small fabrication workshop) is 1.0mm (.040 tips) and is usually the cheapest available wire for general use.

.9mm (.035) is usually the "exotics" - stainless, special alloy wire or mild steel wire that was destined for the US markets.

Newer less experienced employees frequently have problems with their welding machine and the problem is usually resolved by using the correct size tip...

1.2mm wite (.040) is very common also, we usually only use it on the heavier fabrications.

Cheers,

Gary.

Reply to
Metro Fab