Oxygen cyclinder construction

I'm making a bell from an old oxygen cylinder. Does anyone know how the large threaded flange at the top of the cylinder is attached. I had thought it was an integral part of the cylinder but now I'm not sure. It would be nice to remove it if possible.

Thanks Glenn

Reply to
grd750

The large flange at top of cylinder aroung cylinder threads your talking about is a label for the orginal owners. I don't know how it is attached but will guess it's just a tight fit installed hot and shrunk onto neck with threads.

Reply to
R. Duncan

The threaded "neckring" is slid over the valve mount (usually an internal thread collar integral to the cylinder itself). The neckring is then peened at three locations right next to the valve threaded connections. Drill or grind these "peens" out and the neckring should come off easily.

Reply to
brad

Thanks Brad I got the piece off. A little grinding on the top and a little heat plus hammering.

Reply to
grd750