question about TIG advice from Miller website

At the Miller site under "TIG Tips" they give the following advice:

"Keep the torch cable from contacting any grounded metal."

Why oh why? They say this under the heading "What can I do to improve arc starting?". First I've heard of this, and I thought I was well read.

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

my guess is that high frequency high voltage starting current needs to go through the electrode, not through torch cabe insulation to metal.

Ignoramus6528

And it becomes more important as the arc points, that act as a voltage regulator(clamp), pit and provide higher and higher voltage.

Martin

Mart> On 12 Nov 2006 06:20:53 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote: >

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Note that the HF doesn't need to punch thru the insulation. It can also capacitively couple to ground because it is of radio frequency. (That's why they call it HF)

Reply to
Don Foreman