question about TIG advice from Miller website

At the Miller site under "TIG Tips" they give the following advice:
"Keep the torch cable from contacting any grounded metal."
Why oh why? They say this under the heading "What can I do to improve
arc starting?". First I've heard of this, and I thought I was well
read.
--zeb
Reply to
zeb7k
my guess is that high frequency high voltage starting current needs to go through the electrode, not through torch cabe insulation to metal.
Ignoramus6528
Thats correct iggy, HF will escape everywhere and anywhere it can. Thats why the grounding instructions in a tig machine installation manual seem like they should be for building a nucleur sub.
Reply to
MES
And it becomes more important as the arc points, that act as a voltage regulator(clamp), pit and provide higher and higher voltage.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

Ignoramus6528 wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
Note that the HF doesn't need to punch thru the insulation. It can also capacitively couple to ground because it is of radio frequency. (That's why they call it HF)
Reply to
Don Foreman