Question for the group

Greetings all,

After a 6 month hiatus, thanks to an old decrepid 'puter, I am now able to rejoin my fellow metal manglers, WOOHOO!

OK, down to business, I am currently using a Miller Synchrowave 250 welder at my new job. They do not usually use foot pedals, but I have become accustomed to them so I dug one out. It controls the voltage fine, but I am having a problem with the gas control. It is almost like it has dual settings. With the pedal off, the gas flows at a fairly constant 15-20 cfh. When the pedal is activated the gas ramps up to the preset limit as it is supposed to do, but it never fully cuts the gas off.

I have speculated that the gas valve may be stuck partially open, thus explaining the constant lower pressure, guess I'm just looking for some corfirmation before I tear into it.

Thanks for any and all help, Jim C Roberts

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Hi, Is the constant gas flow coming out the torch? A major leak before the solenoid valve would show a constant flow on the flowmeter but not come out the torch. 15 - 20 CFH is what I run as my total gas flow most of the time, doubling that probably would cause lower output pressure.

I have a Syncrowave 250 also and the gas is on or off, no constant flow

  • arc-on flow. If the constant flow really is coming out the torch, either somebody plumbed the torch very oddly, or you have a leaky solenoid valve in the welder.

Welcome back, Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

Yes Bob, the gas is coming out of the torch, guess I should have mentioned that. I believe I am dealing with a solenoid valve that has not been used in quite some time if ever.

Thanks for the reply, Jim

Reply to
Jim C Roberts

Take solenoid valve apart. Look for something that might stop valve from closing. Could be a hair, rubber from hose, Teflon tape. Look at valve orifice for a groove eroded across top orifice rim. You can lap out grooves with cratex stick which is rubber with embedded abrasive. Wood dowel with abrasive metal polish will also work. Rinse off abrasive and dry. (keep electrical parts dry) Might be corrosion causing problem. Soaking valve in vinegar, rinse, dry. (keep electrical parts dry) The poppet that seals against orifice with soft sealing surface should be replaced which might be all that is needed but you could have hard time getting part.

Reply to
R. Duncan