Ready Welder?

Reply to
jp2express

Hi Wayne,

I bought mine used, and it did not come with the adapter.

The link shows exactly what I'm wanting to buy. Notice how they are all in different amperages or wattages. That's what I'm trying to find out what I need.

I could certainly find something a little less than Ready Welder's $25 + S&H.

Besides, I have already read that the Ready Welder power supply is a cheap unit.

Wayne wrote:

jp2express

Joe,

According to

're only talking about $25.

I think I'd send the $25 or contact Ready Welder directly and ask THEM what the specs are on the adapter.

If you NEED the adapter why not just get the one especially designed to work with the Ready Welder? Chances are it has a special plug (proprietary) that RS may not have. Also, it's possible that the specs are NOT on the adapter just to keep folks from trying to save a buck, or a minute, by getting it elsewhere. They guarantee THIS ONE to work! ;-)

==========

jp2express wrote:

Reply to
Al Patrick

If you are doing a stand alone - the transformer is a 10K to 20K watt and those are not light weight and Radio Shack won't have or won't order. Those are ordered at a local electrical supply house. (25-40 pounds of iron or more).

Decide what voltage and current. Multiply then double for surge and safety. e.g. won't get to hot to touch...

Then decide the input voltage. Best Pick 220.

I think if you want to replace the main batteries then look at a DC stick welder and use it as a basis. Best is a TIG - for the gas.

Off road requires batteries or a Ranger or Blue Box version - and then you have it anyway - power.

Martin

Mart> Ernie,

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

PC power packs - towers and the larger ones - servers - don't have enough power that you can use. Calculate the voltages yourself.

24 V at say 300 amps. PC doesn't have that and large industrial switchers have 1/10 of that and only in one voltage.

24*300 = Wattage - now you have 7500. Safety makes it 10k watt.

Mart> Ok. How about, "Desktop power supply," as Wayne mentioned?

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Jesus H Christ, just to power the motor in the wire feed!!! How big of a motor is that??????

Reply to
Clif Holland

No kidding!

Plus, something tells me that Ready Welder's cheap $25 power supply doesn't do anything near that heavy duty.

Reply to
jp2express

Hey Al,

Well, I've been told that the Ready Welder adapter is a cheap piece of junk, and that the cheap, crappy adapters from Radio Shack are 100% better. There are no special plugs on the Ready Welder adapter, either.

Further, I have called Ready Welder on several occasions. They never answer their phone, so I leave my name and number for them to call back. I have not had my call returned.

Since these adapters have some weight to them, we are probably looking at another $9.95 to ship.

Reply to
jp2express

This is a little funny how you just don't get it. The guy is looking for a low voltage power supply to power the motor of a wire feeder. Not to weld. He's got a welder for that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

It's probably only 20 or 30W and unregulated (might put out ~35V unloaded). If you can't get a spec then you'll need to play it safe by getting one that's say, 40W and regulated, which is likely to cost... about $25. You could get Ernie to read the label on his and put a voltmeter on it unloaded. *Then* you could duplicate it without risk, likely for $10. I'm usually cheaper than the next guy, but in this case I'd hold my nose and buy it from the factory. Shipping is $6.79, perhaps less if you can get them to mail it but the web site says you have to call them to arrange that. :-( BTW, that web store is strange - you have to create an account just to see the shipping cost, which is stupid but not unheard of. But you have to give a date of birth to create an account, which seems bloody ridiculous. Fits right in with asking callers to leave messages and not responding. I always thought I was going to get one of those guns whenever I had some spare cash, but I'm pretty turned off by any outfit that uses voice mail to dodge support calls.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Glad to have helped ...I think.

:)

Wayne wrote

Reply to
jp2express

Just FYI. I've had an opportunity to call RW three or four times over the last year and there was always someone there; I never had to leave a message or wait to talk to the right folks.

I'm not making an excuse for them, only letting you know that up until recently, it was not their MO.

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

Thanks Bob - no mention on the motor power. I saw one in the box. It looks tiny and many laptop computers or other wall warts (as the green types call them) can do it.

Yes - Radio Shack has many versions.

Martin

Mart>> If you are doing a stand alone - the transformer is a 10K to 20K >> watt

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The power supply that came with my Ready Welder II is rated at "24 VDC, 2000 ma."

It has separate (not molded into a single connector body) crimped, male and female round connectors. Male on the positive, female on the negative lead. The male pin is 0.156" diameter and matches the female connector on the negative lead.

It is fairly heavy for its size, therefore I conclude that it is a transformer/rectifier/capacitor power supply (not a switch-mode power supply) and is probably not regulated. You could use a SMPS, regulated power supply if you found one with suitable ratings on surplus, but regulation is not required for the ready welder.

I would not try to skimp on the current rating, even if you get a lower rated unit to appear to operate the motor satisfactorily.

Have fun.

awright

Reply to
awright

By the way, ip2express, I think you introduced some confusion by referring in your question to the power supply as a "transformer." A transformer itself is an AC in, AC out device and many "wall wart" power cubes and discrete power blocks ar, in fact AC out transformers. I presume you know the difference and were just using a shorthand term for a power supply unit, but obviously, some responders took you seriously.

awright

Reply to
awright

Sounds like he wants to run his spool gun off a stick welder and needs the transformer to power he spool gun electronics. My guess is he is trying to save some bucks off of buying the ready welder stuff to do this.

Reply to
Jimmie D

How about a automotive battery charger for a power supply I know these will work on 12 volts. I have been thinking of getting a ready welder. I have a big 150A 24.6V transformer and a huge Variac and a apprpriately large bridge rectifier. I should think this would work with a ready welder.

Reply to
Jimmie D

It likely may well do the job and be way overkill

Folks..think windshield wiper motor. If it will run a windshield wiper motor..it should run a Ready Welder.

its not rocket science.

Gunner

This Message is guaranteed environmentally friendly Manufactured with 10% post consumer ASCII Meets all EPA regulations for clean air Using only naturally occuring fibers Use the Message with confidance. (Some settling may occure in transit.) (Best if Used before May 13, 2009)

Reply to
Gunner

Reply to
amdx

First if it converts AC to DC 24V it's not just a transformer. It is a dc power supply, at a minimum it has a transformer and rectifier circuit. Second, any 24vdc supply will not send to much current, the motor in the wire feeder will only draw the current it needs. If you already have the Ready Welder, connect 2-12v batteries and measure the current. I suspect it is not a large current maybe a couple of amps. Sorry, I don't find any info showing the current draw of the wire feeder. Mike

Reply to
amdx