ready welder

i just purchased a ready welder, if i hook it up to my tig machine(180sd) will it function like a normal mig welder, assuning i use 75/25? is there anything really weird about using one, are the welds good enough to make a utility trailer out of using the tig on 180 amps? thanks tony

Reply to
Tony

Did you get the version that hooks up to batteries or the version that hooks up to your welder?

Makes a difference. The welder version comes with a power supply to run the gun since the open circuit voltage on some welders goes over 48 volts which will fry your gun.

I use flux core on mine and regularly weld 1/4" to 3/8" angle and plate with solid welds.

Enjoy

Jim Vrzal

T> i just purchased a ready welder, if i hook it up to my tig machine(180sd)

Reply to
Mawdeeb

machine(180sd)

Reply to
Tony

When running one from a stick/TIG machine, they act very much like a standard MIG gun, except your wire stickout distance is rather critical for a consistent weld bead.

I run mine from my Maxstar 200DX DC Stick/TIG inverter on site and my Betamig 250 in my shop. Works great either way.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Took a little practice to get used to the feed on the gun. Also the tip is always hot so be aware when putting the gun down on your work.

Like anything else practice on your scrap before working on a keeper projects.

Till then....Later

Jim Vrzal

T> i just sent it in for the modification for the ac adaptor, thanks tony

Reply to
Mawdeeb

Oh one more thing to add. To keep the wire speed knob from moving too easily, I pried off the knob and stuck a small O-ring under it. It adds just enough friction so the knob can't turn by just brushing it.

I also hit the little raised bumps around the knob with a white paint marker so I can see them better. Makes it a lot easier to guage your wire speed setting.

Try to jot down some notes while using it to keep track of your settings for diferent wires and materiels.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

thanks for all the replies and tips....tony

machine(180sd)

Reply to
Tony

Interestingly enough I just saw on there home page where they've added a spring to the knob to prevent this. They apparently listened to you and other people and have made some changes. They offer to retrofit the spring to older guns for a nominal fee.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook