Ready Welder?

That certainly happened.

These little power supplies are often loosely referred to as transformers. That certainly messed up a lot of people's understanding! My apologies.

On the other hand, I was able to run the Ready Welder on my welding machine's CV setting of about 20 VDC, and it ran great! Like someone said before, the wire speed control is loose, and an unanticipated bump can really crank up the wire speed without the operator realizing it.

The wire speed control also sits very close where my right thumb stays while I'm using it. This was probably meant to be a feature, but with my welding gloves on, I think that thumb was responsible for many of the bad wire speed settings.

Also, the unit is always electrically hot. By this, I mean even the nozzle arcs against the metal - and without the trigger being pressed!

Finally, I'm running flux core wire at the moment, so I don't really even need a nozzle. However, the tip and gas diffuser both seem to be integrated into the nozzle. In the Ready Welder store, they show a Nozzle Insulator which may be for flux core use, but (like everything else in their online store) it does not have any description of what it is for.

But, I got the unit to work for me, and I didn't even need the adapter with my welding machine set to CV.

Thanks every> By the way, ip2express, I think you introduced some confusion by

Reply to
jp2express

If you have a CV setting, you don't need a (transformer or power supply) at all - the RW will run right off the CV, just as if it was on batteries.

As for the dial, put an o-ring under it to friction it up.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

I learned that I could operate the RW on CV from one of the posts in this thread. When I was told that, I no longer cared about that darned adapter! :)

Thanks for the o-r>

Reply to
jp2express

As for the tip being hot all the time, if your welder has a remote control port and you're too cheap to buy the official remote control, the group archives have the info you need to put a switch on it (and a potentiometer to remote the main current/voltage dial as well, if you like) for _much_ less money than the factory version (the connector or wire will be the most expensive part.) A very simple soldering project.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Just like Ready Welder, Ernie: I signed up to get an account on their forum days ago.

So far, all I've received is this note: "Your account is currently inactive, the administrator of the board will need to activate it before you can log in. You will receive another email when this has occurred."

Maybe >

Reply to
jp2express

This group, not a readywelder group or forum or whatever. The braindead yet still beats nothing Google replacement for dejanews (which was nice.) Which, as I recall, you need to access from somewhere other than work - drop by the local library, perhaps. Google advanced groups search, as I recall you have a Lincoln - there's more about Miller remotes, and then some stuff about Lincoln remotes showed up as well.

If you have a 6-pin Amphenol connector for remote control, the pins all have letters - ABCDEF:

ABC are remote control, one end of potentiometer, wiper, other end of potentiometer, respectively. Some debate on Linear .vs. Log pot. Either

5K or 10K ohm, full output is B at the A end of the pot.

DE are contactor, closing the switch turns welding on, opening it turns welding off, and it need not be a hefty switch (only sending a control signal).

F is ground.

Reply to
Ecnerwal