scrounging wheels for projects

well, I have a few projects in mind that I can scrounge all the parts i need for free except......wheels.

I can get a number of car rims and tires for free, but not wheel hubs. I can find a freebie source for pneumatic lawnmower tires either. anyone have some suggestions?

note, I do not need road worthy wheels, looking more for lawn tractor attachments and such. I'd use auto wheels if i could get the hubs, but anything might work(anyone try welding wheels for implements?).

Reply to
Tater

You can cut slices off of biggish pipe (e.g. 12", 14" ..) and weld a couple of cross pieces at 90 degrees to each other, forming 4 spokes (the flat bars have to dish sideways slightly to pass each other) and then carefully drill for an axle hole. Those will never be truly round or centered, but for handcarts, wheelbarrows, welding cylinder carts or the like you'd never notice it.

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

That's a really good idea -- and they would have an antique look as well.

Ignoramus22416

hmmm, or i could take those car rims and do something similar. but they dont sound like they could handle a lot of weight or abuse. I'll have to look into it.

Reply to
Tater

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ wrote:

I've been thinking along those lines, but was hoping somone could point out other alternatives. I'll probably end up going this route. will seem a bit silly for a lawn tractor trailer to have tires that can handle 2000 pounds ad do 85mph tho....

and are usualy gone for use in utility trailers in this neck of the woods. too many people with the same idea.

Reply to
Tater

Reply to
RoyJ

here are a few....

Joe Brophy

The spindles on old Ramblers were bolted to the steering knuckles. I think I have the nomenclature right. Four bolts held the spindle on and was the easiest auto to trailer conversion out there. Good luck finding a Rambler that hasn't been melted down. Many modern front WD cars have a solid axle if you need the whole thing. Tom

Reply to
Tom Wait

Works for me!

Reply to