Stud Weld with Stick Machine?

Does anyone know how to stud weld with a stick machine? Is there a switch I can use to create a single pulse. Can I hook up the electrode holder to the stud and just momentarily turn the machine on & off?

I need to weld small studs on to 1/4" plate. Studs are about the size of 16d nails. I am currently welding them on with a MIG machine but it puts too much heat into the weld and discolors the other side of the plate which is not acceptable in this situation.

Reply to
John R

Rent a machine for the job. Most stud welders I have seen are based on charging up a set of capacitors to give that less than one second burst. A conventional welding machine is not designed for such an application I would not turn the machine off and off but you might try a knife switch separate from the machine on your cables. The switch will arc like crazy and likely will have a short life.... Better than the switch on your machine which is not designed for such service. Randy

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

We had modest success using a spot welder, for small, utterly non- mission critical studs.

Failing that we have brazed on countersink headed screws !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

I have no idea what you are working on. There are stick pins made to glue on used to keep insulation in duct work. They also use welded stick pins. Would the glue on ones work for your application?

See

scroll to the bottom.

DanG

You might get away with a Harbor freight autobody nailwelder sold for under $100 dollars haven't tried it yet but they even sell the threaded studs. Ed ke6bnl

Reply to
Ed ke6bnl