TIG Pulser for Miller 180SD

Not to be to picky, but the Plugs and Sockets should be both Gold or Tin. Mixing might - cause corrosion and become faulty.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member http://lufkinced.com /
Ken Moffett wrote:

-
If copper/tin or copper/gold or gold/tin junctions set up galvanic reactions then there would be a whole lot more failed electronics out there as how Solder tiself is primarily tin. I hate gold plating since it does not improve the mechanical or electrical characteristics of the joint but has been used more as a marketing tool for making electronics look perttier and fancier
Given the choice plain copper is just as good to me but I'm wonderfully happy to even have that connector info. It was being Kryptonite to me doing a project involving the welder
Martin H. Eastburn wrote:

Gold is good in low-current and low-voltage signal connections, particularly those that are frequently connected and disconnected. You're right that there is a lot of absurd hype re gold in audio stuff. Gold-plated line plugs, gimme a break!
Copper tarnishes, tin makes whiskers. Copper oxide can cause partial rectification in a low-current (milliamps or microamps)connection that isn't gas-tight, as in a crimp or sometimes under a screw. Tin is widely used in automotive connectors, but is verboten in aerospace because of the whiskers.
Ken Moffett wrote:

Wow professional looking front panel, good job! I like the way you transition from Hz to seconds on the one dial, that makes sense.
Does it work well? I love the pulser on my invertig, almost makes my welds look good :)
- John

John,
Thanks. I was happy with the way it came out. The front panel was developed in QuickCAD (formerly AutoSketch), and laser printed on transparency film. I used 3M #77 advesive to attach it to the panel and trimmed it with an Exacto knife. The photo made it look more like silk screened.
I'm just starting to use it. Never used one before, but so far it performs as I would expect.
Ken
Ken Moffett wrote:

Nice of you to do all the work to post it to the Dropbox.
Dan

Dan,
I've gotten so much valuable information from the people on this, and other newsgroups, that I thought it was time to share a little of "my" experience. Didn't feel there was a big enough market to try and sell this as an after-market add-on, or as a kit. The circuit board was $59 for three, from ExpressPCB. I still have two left, if anyone wants one for $20. I also just realized today, that if I had cut the cord from the foot control in two, I could have used any 5-pin connector pair on the box. Oh well...I hope someone can make use of the posting. :)
Ken
Ken, awesome job, I bet you have this feeling of satisfaction!!!

Thanks. I do feel preeeeeeeetty good about it :)
I'm working on a web page of some of the things I do for fun (and money):
http://www.macalester.edu/~moffett /
Ken

I visited it a little, it is very nice.
wrote in

It's pretty obvious that web design is not my bread and butter. I was doing it mostly to document some of the things I do for the Scicnce Division. I have a workorder system, but visuals are more impressive to the powers that be, than a stack of completed workorders. I've been there for almost 6 years, and started this about a year age. Wish I had been doing it from the start. Years ago, at a former job, I picked up a tech that was let go from another department during a budget crunch. He was very good, and worked very well independently, but never documented what he did. When the crunch came, he couldn't show the administration all the truly wonderful things he did over the years, and what a valuable asset they had. So...
Ken
Ken Moffett wrote:

Well, as I should have expected...as soon as I post something in the dropbox, I discoverd the errors in the files. I've sent replacement files today for TIG Pulser.txt and TIG Pulser circuit.gif. The change is to the voltage regulator (U1). It should have been an LM340-15 (or LM7815) instead of a LM7812. Stuff left from earlier prototypes.
Ken