Weld foot electric motor

Has anyone welded broken foot on electric motor with stick cast rods, I presume I should bolt earth to good foot securely, but any hints AC/ DC
positive or neg earth? Should I earth separately to ground? I would rather not damage winding or bearings.

It's best if you can pre-heat the cast iron before welding but it looks like you don't want to take the end bell off of the motor. In any case there is a rod available at good hardware stores that works pretty well. It's Stoody Castweld 55. There are of course all sorts of good rod for this purpose available at welding suppliers. Either ask when you buy the rod or follow the directions enclosed with the Stoody rod. Make sure the path to ground can't go through the bearings. Grounding close to the weld will work. Eric
snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Photo of problem,
https://imgur.com/a/iC8ziJu
I found I have some En55 rods
Any suggestion before I bite the bullet?
I am not going to have much chance to preheat or stick it in a bucket. Do I just do short bursts and wait between?
On Wednesday, January 2, 2019 at 3:33:10 AM UTC-5, FMurtz wrote:

Short bursts, and peen the weld while it is cooling to help remove stress.
On 1/2/2019 8:07 AM, Glenn Lyford wrote:

And bolt an alignment plate to both feet to keep things straight . As Glen said , short weld then peen as it cools . It'd be a big help if you vee the break before you start . If you have a TIG welder this would be an ideal time for a little TIG brazing . I'll be doing a similar repair in a few days on an aluminum oil-less compressor foot . (But only if my son hasn't burned it up)
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Terry Coombs wrote:

It is fairly thin (1/4") and I can get at both sides so I may not Vee it.
On 1/2/2019 3:33 AM, FMurtz wrote:

If you see this as a challenge and the opportunity to learn, then go for it.
If you just want to get the motor back into service, then bolting a piece of angle to it would be the easiest and most reliable solution.
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

I bought it for AU $50.00 it is 2hp, new, and would normally be up to 200 dollars
On 1/3/2019 9:12 AM, FMurtz wrote:

a few daze ago , managed a strong but crappy looking weld job on the cast aluminum mount foot that had broken off . Awaiting delivery of a new control box , that will complete repairs to this unit and have it back in service at a total cost of less than 30 U$D .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Site Timeline