welder qualifications

I recently received my CWI certification and my employer( a welding supply company) wants me to do welder qualifications. I have very little experience and am not sure what paperwork I need to do for the qualification. Do I need to write a WPS first? I know which prequalified joint design that I want to use from D1.1 for the test. I also know how to cut and bend the coupons. This is my first welder qualification and I really don't have anyone to guide me. I would greatly appreciate any advise that might be given on this matter.

Reply to
scott

I apologize for not being more specific. As I stated earlier, I am inexperienced and new at this. The qualification is for 3/8 A36 plate. It will be a CJP weld that will be backgouged. The welder wants to do a

3G and 4G so that he will be qualified for all position and the process will be SMAW with E7018 1/8 electrode. I plan on using the prequalified joint design B-U2 out of table 3.4 in D1.1. As I have never done a welder qualification, I do not have a WPS prepared.

MES wrote:

Reply to
scott

The WPS for a weld test is pretty simple.

Just fill in the specs on the form provided in the D1.1 index.

Since you are doing a 3/8" Stick test with back gouge, it will qualify the welder for up to 3/4" steel.

You can buy WPS forms from AWS prefilled.

I normally use a dilute acid to etch the weld test coupons before bending. You want just enough etch to show you the location and alignment of the weld deposit. The right acid dilution will make the weld deposit visually pop out like photo developer. I use Stainless weld pickling paste diluted about 20 to 1 with water.

Don't stress out over your first weld test. The process is pretty simple. Just keep track of the test coupons and paperwork.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

THANK YOU! I very much appreciate your advice. Is it difficult to see the weld after it is bent if I don't etch it like you suggested?

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
scott

Once the coupons are ground and polished the weld disappears. A light etch will make it plainly visible. I brush on the acid, wait a few seconds for it to react, rinse it off, dry it off, then mark the edges of the weld deposit with a sharpie marker. On a 3/8" test you need to do 1 face bend and 1 root bend. Etching will show you exactly where the weld is and where the root and face are.

On a 1" test you will do 2 side bends.

Remember to make sure the long edges of the test coupon are nicely radiused, and all scratch lines run lengthwise.

By marking the weld deposit you can make sure it is centered in the bending jig.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler