Welding table pics

That looks pretty slick there. I think my next project will be to build a larger and heavier frame for my hydraulic press. Then perhaps a table setup similar to that.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

OK, I see. It's a _very_ open design. I guess the fence segments (gates?) you make just exactly fit that spacing?

It looks painted. Does it conduct current at all or do you just clamp to the work? Or do you just gas weld?

The simple idea of an angle iron frame seems like an elegant way to go. Even if you added a lot more angle irons to make it a more closed design to support smaller parts, the approach should still work well to make a very strong table with lots of clamping options.

Reply to
Curt Welch

If you use roller stands, drill press, etc, make it at a height where you can use them all together. Or roll one next to the other and have a component thing. Like when you have a long tail hanging off something you are drilling on or pressing.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I paint the tables mainly to keep them from rusting. As you can see, this one needs spraying. I just spray it on pretty thick, and repaint it every couple of years. I attach the ground to the work. Or to a clamp when I'm sure it has cut through the paint.

With the spacing the way it is, you can make up just about any piece of ornamental, except for really tall stuff. You can make a lot of spacers out of flat bar so that whatever you are working on can be set right before welding. This one is actually 1 1/2" x 1/4" and a little weaker than I like. My first was 3" x 3/8" and weighed a few hundred pounds. On this one, I have to put a screw jack support under a 4x4 underneath the middle if I'm putting anything real heavy on it, or need it to be exactly flat, as there is about 1/8" sway in ten feet on this.

One could make the spacing and boxing in any way they wanted, or even make them moveable. I occasionally use a piece of paint lock flat sheeting when I need to make a flat top if the weldment doesn't weigh too much. Getting back to the basics. Available space and intended use.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I kinda do that with my radial arm saw and my table saw. They sit side by side, and I use one to support stock I am cutting on the other.

Reply to
Bob La Londe