Where the heck is everybody?

Very well. I lurked and asked a few questions last winter/spring while in the middle of my first welding class. Got busy with second job all summer. Then I was in my second class (beginner TIG. fun, fun, fun stuff, but I think I was *ahem* not the best in the class). Finally got a welder for Christmas (thanks mom and wife). In my case, I got a Miller DVI. I'll be putting a

230 outlet in my garage, but the 115 capability lets me work at my parents' and sister's house. Or in some out of the way places.

But right now, it has been sitting for three weeks because it's just too damned cold to go out to the garage. Err, the driveway, because my garage would be likely unusable anyway due to clutter, err, future project storage space.

After building a welding table, my first project will be a "kid's welder". Essentially a toy welder for my son to tow around. For some reason, while you can get all manner of woodworking 'toy tools', you can't get a kid's toy welder. But he already knows how to 'help' daddy. Whenever daddy starts to fix something, son says "I'll go get the hammer".

Reply to
George Howell

Sure it is electric ? maybe some WD-40 down the throat would help. Sure there is air getting in ?

Gas old or new ? - I had some gas go bad on me - bunch of junk - put some anti-water stuff - refined wood pulp into liquid - and it absorbed the water and helped the gas to burn much better.

;-) got the clutch in ?

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

lol! that's interesting. actually i had been wondering the same thing. i was telling a friend about this group and ernie and said "...ernie "limecooler"" and felt silly, like i was horribly mispronouncing your name. she said "that's GOT to be an alias!!!" and i was like "...i don't think so..." i just finished putting a new front drive shaft and a new differential cage/case thingamajig in my kubota tractor. happy i got it back running again and without any left over parts. :-)

b.w.

Reply to
William Wixon

--Problem solved; instructions had me hook the battery up backwards. Once I did it ass-backwards it started crankin'. Haven't gotten it started yet; battery's about flat. Will try jumper cables and use my truck battery to get it running today, heh.

Reply to
steamer

That's sweet. It's nice to know that Sonny is the type who'll cure your leaky faucets and squeaky hinges when you're old and gray. But before that can happen, there's going to be a day when he's hammering

2 inch nails into a 1 inch board, and using your car's hood as a workbench. :-)

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjk

As long as it isn't my motorcycle, I'm okay with it;)

Oh, and I saved plenty of copies of his baby bath photos. I'm sure his future girlfriends will love them. Revenge is best served cold.

In welding news, I was flipping through the channels today, and they were using a welder (and a plasma cutter) on one of the SpikeTV shows today. He made me stop so he could watch. Maybe he'll like one of Ernie's videos when he makes 'em. Now if only I can figure out what kind of helmet/shield to get for a 4 year old...

Reply to
George Howell

I don't understand. It seems that it shoulda started, but only run in reverse ..................

Steve ;-)

Reply to
SteveB

Picture 110 of those buggies hot started on a motocross track for a 4 hour race. 1st turn is a dozey! Half the cars don't finish. Pit area winds up littered with broken axles, gears, chains, suspension, brake rotors, frames, etc etc. 10 hp STOCK B&S engines, LOTS of airborne action, lots of wheel marks on the body panels. Open wheel racing at it's best.

My crew has f> So THAT type of road racing. Looks like fun!

Reply to
RoyJ

Bet some electronics didn't like reverse electrons. Some relays have reverse diodes. So simple electricity type might not work in reverse now.

Good work Steamer - bet it was in reverse due to British auto person used to reverse battery... Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

--Um, yeah, what you said... ;-) --Got it running; great fun! Will put up a page as it progresses; much welding ahead as I adorn it with something visually weird that must be lightweight, sturdy, detatchable, etc etc.

Reply to
steamer