wire connectors

We have a rental machine we have to hook up to our 600 volt three phase junction box. The machine's wires are 7/16 inch in diameter copper strand. I have not seen a Marrett wire nut that big and can't seem to locate anything. Any ideas on how to connect the wires short of soldering and electrical tape wrap??? Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

That is what I figure is the correct way. I imagine we will be doing some sort of jury rig for the two days of welding. I am guessing that the heavy wire is for when the unit is connected to lower voltage three phase and the amperage is much higher. A local supplier offered me three screw type in a little square frame. They were used and the threads were binding. He wanted 23 dollars for the three. I balked. I thought because they posted nice scriptural sayings on their sign outside that I would be treated with fairness. Maybe they figured out I was a heathen. Randy

I've NEVER seen a 600V marette and i hope to never see one

I'm sure there are b>We have a rental machine we have to hook up to our 600 volt three phase >junction box.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Look for a 'split bolt' wire connector.

Reply to
herman munster

After looking again in the stores for split bolts I took another rummage around my garage. I found something salvaged from a old service. It should do. Failing that split bolts is what I will ask for from the industrial supply on Monday. Thanks for the idea. Randy

Look for a 'split bolt' wire connector.

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

UNless your codes are way diffent that should onlt be done on screwdown tupe connections or something similar within a box

I've NEVER seen a 600V marette and i hope to never see one

I'm sure there are b>We have a rental machine we have to hook up to our 600 volt three phase >junction box.

Reply to
Brent Philion

Wjat i can say is that those type of connectors are rates usually on amperage not voltage and the safety margins are high but make SURE you use the right amperage of connector

I'f used AWG14 to do 600V wiring but it was a 1/4 hp simulation load wired EACTLY the same as a mine dewatering pump. As a student it was most important that the baby squirrel cage work right as opposed to having the right load amps be switched

a 4 connector binding post in the wirnig box should be fine but use one of the right size

the few extra bucks beat a Barbecue with YOU >That is what I figure is the correct way. I imagine we will be doing some

Reply to
Brent Philion

Randy , you need a #2 servit or Burnday splitbolt connector. You can buy them at Nedco , Gescan, E.B. Horseman, Friesen Electric or Home Depot. Tape up with 3M Scotch 33 or similar self amalgimating tape and cover with PVC tape for abraision protection. The reason for the self amagamating is for water protection, it starts to become critical at 347/660 which is what you have if you are coming off the BC Hydro system directly. If you have problems getting connectors give me a call.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

Use a "split-bolt" just like they use to connect power to your house. A good hardware store, or an electrical supply house will have em. And a good 1/4 - 1/2 roll of electrical tape, and/or friction tape.

Reply to
Mr Wizzard