TalonGrip Vise Jaw System

To All:

Ran across these vise jaws online and thought others might be interested.

The TalonGrip Systems Vise Jaws use two or more pairs of hardened tool steel grips to clamp a work piece for machining while holding on to just 0.060" of material. The grips teeth actually penetrate into the work piece, resisting part movement during aggressive machining on materials ranging in hardness from tool steel to soft plastics. The grips are reversible and adjustable laterally in each jaw. The jaws design also provides an 1/8" wide, rest surface, eliminating the need for loose parallels. A low profile work stop is included with each set.The TalonGrip Systems Vise Jaws are available to fit most popular brands of 4" and 6" vises, and also in 2 inch extended versions for longer work. ==============================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

A buddy of mine has had tremendous success using those.

They really could use a better website though.

Reply to
Joe788

Joe:

I've mentioned before that we have a number of (inhouse made) serrated vise jaws that we can use to grip parts by about .040. I didn't know there was apparently a name for the technique (carrier method). I wonder if TalonGrip made it up. Here is an excerpt from their FAQ. ================================================================= Q: What is the ?carrier? concept?

A: The ?carrier? concept is a method for machining parts that uses an amount of sacrificial material, the ?carrier?, to hold onto a part while the top and sides of the part are machined to finish size. The part is then re-positioned with the machined top portion down and clamped on the finish machined sides using hard jaws or nested in soft jaws, then ?carrier? material is machined off and any other finish machining is completed on that side of the part. This process allows completing a high percentage of parts in just two clampings. The most efficient version of this process uses Talon Grip Vise Jaws and requires no pre-machining of the blank material in order to effectively hold the part while machining aggressively. =================================================================

Yeah, text organization doesn't seem to be their strong suit. They have a lot of info, but you've got to dig for it.

Reply to
BottleBob

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

"Carrier" sounds better than "leave some on the bottom and then face it off". ;-) At least they're not trying to patent the concept. Remember when someone was told they couldn't use double-back tape because some other guy thought of it first? Yeah, right.

Later,

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Gary

Has your boss found a Chinese knock off yet to match the Chinese vise knock offs he purchased?

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Is this Jon Banquer, or Jim Jarvis?

Did Jim get banned from CNCZone again already?

Reply to
Joe788

Jon:

Did you perhaps have something constructive you wanted to add to this thread? Do you see the possible benefits of using something like the TalonGrip vise jaws?

Reply to
BottleBob

"Did you perhaps have something constructive you wanted to add to this thread?"

Sure:

Don't work for idiots that buy cheap Chinese Kurt Knock off vises.

"Do you see the possible benefits of using something like the TalonGrip vise jaws?"

I've always made my own.

Perhaps this will be the first machining tip on the Jon Banquer blog.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jon:

How many tools do you own that were made in China?

How, and in what form?

Reply to
BottleBob

Dude, yer wasting time with this muthafucka again. He don't make his own jaws.... to do so requires some *skills*, albeit minimal skills. STILL harping on your chinese vises. He will never let that go.

Cliff's hilarious House Painter post shows jb on rec.autos.tech (a very excellent ng) jabbering about a "new" 1994 Sierra, fer godsakes, w/ jb not knowing the difference between a wrecking yard/used parts and an autodealer, angsting about how to paint parts. goodgawd.... A 1994 Sierra....

jb's got inneresting schizophrenia--the sycophantic drool of his aliases, begging for help, and his messianic dictator venom as jb, the great knower of all that is cadcam. please.....

As a hack machinist, ever-looking for bang for my broke-assed buck, I take

1x2 alum, and c-bore an *oval* from *both* sides, which then requires these low-cap socket screws (or turn down yer own), and then the jaw can be used *four* times for each of its edges. Can do this with steel as well. Not a bad idea to take a full 12' bar, and just make jaws for a cupla hours. Only 12 pairs, tops.

MSC sells alum jaws, for over $30/pair,iirc.

Of course, you cain't grip by .040 or .060 with alum, which I found out the hard way. But mebbe by 1/8, iffin the cuts are not too big, and the alum edges sharp.

Reply to
Proctologically Violated®©

Bob, by removing them from somebody else's machine and placing them into his toolbox, of course. Sheesh.

Reply to
Joe788

Garlicdude

Now come on BB.....You know he's lyin and then you call him on it in a round about way with the "How, and in what form" question. I thought you and him wuz tight. That's not very nice when ya do that to your lil buddy.

I suspect he'll just drop this whole conversation now......but I really hope he digs himself in a lil deeper with another lie on how he makes his own.....you know.....just for the entertainment value. :)

Barn

Reply to
barn_rubble

Bob, by removing them from somebody else's machine and placing them into his toolbox, of course. Sheesh.

==========================

No doubt. One of the few argerments I ever got into with my Brooklyn Komrade was when he glommed my custom jaws, and buggered/machined the shit out them for his own job. Course, it was his machine/his shop, but still.... I said, Dude, dats like grabbing my *woman*--ceptin with vise jaws, it's my pride AND my time!!!

Reply to
Proctologically Violated®©

Barn: Lying? Nawww, never entered my mind. I thought he might have an idea I could use. If it was something other than machining a simple undercut sharp edge to grip parts. Which we've tried, but didn't work well in repeated use.

We're still buds as far as I know. He's just a little abrasive at times.

Reply to
BottleBob

PV:

When we're slow we cut up some 2"x1" bar, drill and counter bore the bolt holes, and then have them blanchard ground. It's no biggie to skim off 1/8" to use the bottom side. We don't get

4 side usage, but then a lot of times we couldn't use the back sides anyway as too much material was machined off the first side to hold large parts.
Reply to
BottleBob

Bob&PV, A shop in town makes their own and mills a keyhole looking counterbore for quick on and off.

As you cut the top of the standard 1"x2" jaw down for different jobs you can then turn them over and use what was the bottom, getting extra life out of a set.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

A really neat idea! But, possibly weakens the jaw, with some spread, and thus cupping. Could be faced off, tho. Also, if you turn the jaw upside-down, you lose the quickon/off feature of the keyhole.

If those 10 sets of 1x3x6" jaws stayed at $100, I'd buy'em just for the material!

Funny w/ ebay, tho. If you look at standard items, like popular Polar HR moniters and the like, a substantial number of sellers are charging

*significantly* more than msrp! Whazzup wit dat?
Reply to
Proctologically Violated®©

Asked my boss order a steel set of TalonGrip vise grip jaws this week to see how good they are. He ordered them for us to try / evaluate the next day after I asked.

I did not ask him to order any Kurt Chinese knock-off vises. I wouldn't want him to lose respect for me.

Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

jon_banquer

Jon:

Another option along the lines of serrated vise jaws, would be to buy some Carr Lane grippers:

Install the fine tooth ones in your soft jaws, and make some parallels that only let the top row of serrations dig into your part for small parts, and make a pair of shorter parallels for gripping larger work.

Why not? It would be a perfect use for them, since any possible out of squareness wouldn't matter in the least. And you can save the 'good' vises for other jobs. Also they would be more than adequate for holding odd shaped parts parts in milled soft jaws.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained. LOL

Reply to
BottleBob