Light Weight Oil

I just picked up a pocket-sized "hypodermic" style oiler, and want to use it to hold a light oil. Since I can't find any good watch oil around here (I know it's available online), I'm wondering what is a good, non-gumming substitute. ISTR from several years back a comment on this ng that ATF was a good substitute for watch oil - any comments about that? Otherwise, I might just use Marvel Mystery Oil.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Tim

This is what the local sewing machine repairman uses.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Joe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have such an oiler, and put "RemOil" gun oil in it. The oil is so thin it leaked out of the oiler in short order. The one I have is aluminum, with a push button that runs a little plug at the end of the oil tube. I have another one, but I haven't tried it. I don't know if the first one was defective, or the design/manufacturing is poor.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I like Microil a lot.

Bought a quart a few months ago, which should last me several lifetimes and got a free can of Aerokroil, a most excellent penetrating oil.

Good company and good products.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Thanks for reminding me of them, I bought precision instrument oil from them for a few things that need such oil.

Ignoramus7829

Jim Stewart wrote in news:h7rkaf$dp1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I agree. I use Kroil all the time, but not as a lubricant. There is no way it would stay inside one of these pen oilers.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

Have you tried "3-in-1"?

Also, sewing machine oil, or the oil they use on trombone slides and brass instrument valves?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Fri, 04 Sep 2009 12:05:52 -0500, the infamous Don Foreman scrawled the following:

Tri-Flow's good stuff. I've only used the 12oz aerosol version, but I haven't seen it on store shelves in a long while.

-- It's a great life...once you weaken. --author James Hogan

Reply to
Larry Jaques

The white oil used in restaurant equipment. It also used for electric shavers. The stuff sold as a stool softener in drugstores is also good, and probably the same stuff. I used the latter on clocks, and one has now gone over 30 years on the same lube. The same with my pocket watch. I do recommend cleaning and oiling those at 5 year intervals! The clock does need cleaning now. Both are just over 100 years old. The clock is a French carriage clock, so not much dust can get in. I just wanted to see how long the stuff would do it's job!

Steve R.

Reply to
Steve R.

Some kind of synthetic? When I played trumpet several decades ago, the valve oil had a very distinctively pleasant aroma.

Reply to
Steve Ackman