Removal of overgrown weeds

I purchased a length of unused, since long ago, railroad track, for scrap metal. This track, on a private property of course, is overgrown with full size weeds and some brush.

I am trying to come up with the most practical, meaning quick and involving minimum of tools, way to clean that brush around the rails.

I cannot use fire for sure.

My best idea so far is a bush trimmer. Any other ideas? I do not think that a lawnmower will do.

Ignoramus31981

Anyone around with a tractor and bush hog?

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I doubt that a tractor will do well around the rails.

Ignoramus31981

Unless the rail line is really really bad you should be able to mow down to track level with a decent stump jumper. Mine mounts to the three point and cuts at any height I raise it or lower it too. Below that you might be able to use a road side trimmer on the outside from the service road (if there is a service road on private property.)

After that you are down to using a rotary trimmer. I had one with chains once that did an amazingly good job on stuff upto about 1"

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I have a small electric weed wacker. Would it work with a brush blade, I do not care if it works slower than an engine powered one?

Ignoramus31981

Rent a tracked skid steer with a flail cutter head on it. I have cleared a LOT of scrub with one. The tracks will let you maneuver on the tires better than wheels. With a descent sized rig you should be able to clear about a mile of track in about 2 hours.

Like this:

IF the track is heavy freight weight cut a few 1' sections out and sell them as small anvils. I've made a LOT of knives and such on mine. Should sell for a LOT more than scrap price.

Reply to
Steve W.

That's too bad, because those propane burners are simply kickass fun!

Weedeater for weeds, pulaski or mattock for bushes. Hire it done or do it yourself for the exercise, but do it EARLY in the morning. It's too hot outside for that crap after about 9am.

A knuckle boom truck (or your engine hoist) will help pulling up the stakes. The knuckle boom will also help you load them on the truck. A truck with air compressor will help with the nuts 'n bolts. Or, if they're welded, rotsa ruck.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I'm reading your post one way, and others are reading it differently.

Is it a rail line that you're disassembling, or a pile of rails?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 20:49:51 -0700, Gunner Asch wrote as underneath :

snip

25 CI - wow ! That'll be a handful and a half!!

snip

Reply to
Charlie+

Rail line.

Ignoramus26736

"Ignoramus31981" wrote in message news:RqqdnSpnjovRMm snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Yesterday I ran my riding mower across a patch of goldenrod and mostly pushed it down flat without cutting the stems.

I have a curved-shaft JD string trimmer whose manual says to use brush blades only on the straight-shaft models.

-jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

One summer when I was a teenager, I worked on a survey crew. Most of the t ime was spent clearing lines of sight. We used Machete's. As purchased the y are not sharp enough. We kept a file in the scaboard and kept the machet e nearly razer sharp. On brush you slice at an angle and ought to be able to cut a branch about an inch in dia. in a single stroke.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

I remember seeing diesel fuel being sprayed around wooden trim dividers between slabs of cement sidewalk overgrown with brush before. It was difficult not to notice, because it really wreaked for about two days!!

I don't know if that's allowed where your property is. I'd check with the local environmental regulations, first.

Reply to
mogulah

Late 60's I had a rotary lawn mower with the front skirt broken off the deck such that about one inch of blade was exposed - greatest rig for cutting back spreading lillac bushes I ever used, Dangerous as hell though!

Reply to
geraldrmiller

Last time I had a chore like that, I wound up using a hedge trimmer. It's amazing what you can do with a cheap hedge trimmer against dense, woody weeds.

Reply to
Rex