cnc'd Sieg X3

Threaded View
Anybody see anything terminally wrong with this ebay item no 140087278572
before I sell a couple of the kids and jump in?
I realise that now I have drawn everybodys attention to it the price is
going to be silly - DOH!
--
Andy Parker
andy at agatehouse dot co dot uk

--

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

Towards the end of March you will see the appearance of the Sieg X2 and Sieg
Super X3 cnc converted machines on the market. The price is to be announced,
but expected to be in the region of 1800, and 2,800 respectively. There
will also be conversion kits available.According to my sources they are
currently in production and the UK web-site is currently under construction.
That's about all I know at the moment, but I hope that helps.
FWIW, I wouldn't chase the price up too much on the eBay one, you could be
inheriting someone elses problems, on the other hand the seller has got good
feedback and is well-establisehd.
If I get any further information on the above, I'll post it.
Hugh

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

I would hope that the reserve is lower than the buy it now price, but I'm
cheap enough that I'd waste 5000 of my own time and pay more for the
materials by buying the wrong thing too cheap several times :-(

Can't see anything obviously wrong, but Why hasn't he finished it?

Mark Rand
RTFM

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

btw, it's an X2 for sale not an X3 -

Hugh

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

It's not an X3 but an X2 and one of the early Simply conversions.
If it starts to get anywhere near the buy it now price it's possible to convert
an X1 long
bed machine which actually has greater travels than the X2 for about the same
price but
better spec.

Those conversions used the 3 axis Xylotex driver card running flat out and to be
honest
it's not a good way to go as if one drive pops the whole board is toast and they
have no
protection or isolation circuits built in.

If it goes cheap ? and I suppose that's relative then it's a good start and can
always be
modified later.
--
Regards,

John Stevenson
Nottingham, England.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk /

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

I've got the 3 axis + 1 axis Xylotex boards and wondering if spares
might be an issue.

Just had a look at http://www.xylotex.com/ and it now says "No shipping
to the European Union" all over the place.

--
Duncan Munro
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk /

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 07:46:18 +0000, Duncan Munro

Yep - its the old RoHS gotcha. You could always get some shipped to a
buddy in the states & get them to forward on.

There is a company in the UK that sells similar boards based on the
Allegro chip that Xylotex uses. However, from my own experience using
boards based on these Allegro devices, they are very fragile, and can
be prone to noise problems (I attempted to construct a workable 4 axis
setup using them and failed - the axes would "creep" when they weren't
being stepped...never bottomed the reason so I sold off my remaining
Allegro-based drives having blown two three-axis boards in the
process).

The better option from a number of points of view would be to replace
them with decent drives such as the 3A ones sold by Arc. These will
handle higher supply voltages and are (in my experience, at least) far
more robust than the Allegro-based drives; they also have opto
isolated inputs, which is a bonus.

Regards,
Tony

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

Hi Tony, thanks for the info.  I've set myself a target of finishing the
X2 CNC here by the end of 2007 (it's been going on for more years than I
care to admit to), and will likely visit the controller side again.

I'll use the Xylotex to get it up and running as all the noise &
decoupling problems have been sorted out, and it's boxed up ready to go
anyway.

I've had a look at the Arc 7.5A driver, not that I need anywhere near
that current but it does 80V instead of 40V which confers other
advantages (and only 20 notes extra).

--
Duncan Munro
http://www.m0kgk.co.uk /

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 09:15:47 +0000, Duncan Munro

You're right - the 80V supply capability does confer advantages in
terms of the speeds that you can obtain with the same motors (broadly
speaking, double the supply voltage and you double the speed for a
given dynamic torque) - however, the real advantage that you would
gain by that would be more apparent if you were building a large
router or a laser cutter, where the improved rapids would be of real
benefit in reducing machining time. On a small machine like the X2,
you certainly don't need more speed for cutting, and the table is
small enough that increasing the speed of your rapids won't deliver
much real benefit in reduced machining times anyway. On my X3, I can
manage in excess of 2 metrres/min rapids, but I have actually set it
for slower max speeds (1 meter/min) as the X3 table moving at that
speed scares the cr@p out of me.

Regards,
Tony

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

These Leadshine drivers are also available from Motion Control Products
in Dorset. Their page for them is here

http://motioncontrolproducts.co.uk/index.php/cPath/1_8_47

The prices are excluding VAT, they do have a slightly larger range than
Arc.   Also they often sell a bit cheaper from their Ebay Shop.

These Chinese drives are pretty good, I use a few of the 8amp ones on a
fullsize machine, and have had no troubles, even after the odd crash.

Wayne....

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

No cable protectors!  <G>

I don't know, but I suspect the accuracy of the belt drives might be a bit
off the accuracy available from a direct drive.

The minimill ballscrew conversion kit mentioned seems to be for an X1 mill,
not an X2 - what's that? It ain't an X3 though, however you look at it.

The Z drive - well, who knows? You can't see it, or the ballscrews - and who
fitted them?

Simplycnc is a Warco brand, and their machines are usually green, not red.

I don't know whether any of these are deal-breakers, but I'm being picky.

picky picky

--
Peter Fairbrother

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3

Shucks

No problem with belt drives, even the 45,000 pound machines use them.
You can direct drive a stepper system but servo drives always have to be geared
down to
get the torque out of the high revving servo's.

X2

No ball screw on the Z but a worn driven drive to the standard rack and pinion.
Link to the X and Y ballscrew suppliers in the advert.

This is Simply new web page as they are now tied up with Warco
Nice to see them with some new pages as at the recent shows their Warco machine
has been
sporting an X3 in red on the startup screen <g>

Never, never.<g>
--
Regards,

John Stevenson
Nottingham, England.

http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk /

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 19:57:10 -0000, "Andy Parker"

As John S has pointed out, you can do better with the long bed X1 as a
starting point, rather than this X2, and going the Xylotex board route
for the driver wouldn't be my choice either. Much safer from the
maintainability point of view to use three single axis drives rather
than a single thre-axis drive.

Mechanically, it doesn't exactly look like a professional job to me
either - maybe thats why the current owner was re-working it.

There have been one or two threads on X3 and other small machine
conversions in this newsgroup over the past few weeks - worth taking a
scan through those before you shell out for this one - unless it goes
for a *really* low price.

Regards,
Tony

Re: cnc'd Sieg X3
"Tony Jeffree"  wrote

No I didn't ! I decided my budget was what it would take me to get to the
same stage with my X1 and since that looks like about 600 so far I ducked
it. Oh and the X2 X3 mess-up was me - just wishful thinking I suppose,
besides I've got a significant investment in M2 tooling now!

I'm sure I'll re-visit the question.

Andy