Re: thunderscreech

> ok,all you experts,i am going to try building a 1/48th republic > thunderscreech. before i spend $ on a collect-aire kit version.im using a > heller thunderflash with (correct ) wing intakes,.does anyone know what > might be the appx./correct type spinner and 3 blade prop to use ,after i cut > the photo recon nose off of it??????? > > .............thanks in advance

I don't have any really good suggestions, but I am tipping my hat to your spirit of enterprise. Good luck!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

I've often thought about doing the same thing! I think I would use a balsa or basswood block chucked in a lathe to get the close shape and fair the rest in with putty. As for blades, they had a short length with wide chord and square tips but highly pitched as I recall. ( I saw it at the AF museum in Sept of 2000)My guess would be using an old Allyn or Micro scale XA2D Skyshark prop but they're as rare as hen's teeth and quite collectible. Perhaps a recast of the prop from that model would work. If worse came to worse I suppose you could always claim that your Collect-Aire prop was broken during shipping and ask them if you could order one!

Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Remind me never to accept an order from this guy. :-(

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Or you could use the parts from or just build the Maintrack(?) vac kit in 1/72 as well. For 1/48, I'd look in to Estes or other model rocket nose cones. As straight & square as the blades are, why not just use plastic sheet & shape them?

Reply to
Frank May

There was an article on the plane in a recent the Smithsonian Air & Space Magazine. Quite interesting!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

I never said getting the prop for free. I said ordering one. Obviously replacement parts have a cost and if I didn't buy the kit I would need to pay for the prop. Sheesh! Give me a break!

Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Yeah. Just lie about it to the manufacturer and it's just fine.

It's the suggestion to use basic dishonesty that I find offensive, but maybe that's just me. I manufacture kits and rarely have spare parts laying around. If someone needs a replacement part it comes from a kit in stock, rendering that kit unsellable.

"Sheesh" indeed.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

I would think if you're willing to pay for a "replacement", why not just tell them you'd like to buy it outright instead of saying the one you never got was broken? :)

Reply to
Frank May

That is exactly the point.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Tom, I was using some humor there. For Pete's sake lighten up already. I am not building the F-84 model, someone else is. I did not at anytime suggest obtaining the part for nothing. I understand the nature of cottage/garage/small industries. Perhaps saying it was damaged during shipping was a poor choice of words. Might I ask some questions? What kits do you manufacture? Would you manufacture a spare part if someone offers to pay for it?

Does this really need to go on as some kind of ethics lesson?

Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Hey instead of using the Allyn/Microscale Skyshark prop, why not use the prop from Linberg's Pogo? They aren't too hard to find these days.

Gene

Reply to
Gene DiGennaro

Just soes ya knows, these a vacuform Thunderscreech going on eBay right now. Bads news is its Execuform, but it might be good for the nose area.

The Old Timer

It's 1/72 scale. He wants to do it in that "other" scale. ie the Dark Side.

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

So is he a heretic of just have less-than-perfect eyesight?

The Old Timer

A heretic WITH less-than-perfect eyesight?

Tom

Reply to
Maiesm72

Hey Tommy! Wait till you get to the wrong side of 65 and see how good your eyes are still.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey