Re: Direct X vs. Open GL

Any good links discussing when Direct X will start outperforming /

> become the standard vs. Open GL in cadcam systems? I guess one major > benefit would be cheaper and better video cards. > > Jon Banquer > San Diego, CA >

The big problem with anything coming from MS is that anytime you want to use the new whatever you also need to get the newest OS version and probably will have to get a new computer that can run it.

Reply to
mich

Don't use Vista?

Reply to
mich

See several recent threads on linux.

You can get the Ubuntu release for free which includes the Open Office, Firefox and several other apps. suite. Click on

you ask for the free disks get the big pack and pass out to your friends.

if you google on you get >10 million hits to start see

?Cam
Unka' George [George McDuffee] ============ Merchants have no country. The mere spot they stand on does not constitute so strong an attachment as that from which they draw their gains.

F. George McDuffee

Why would that happen? I don't see MS killing off Linux.

Reply to
mich

Any decent open-source CAD/CAM stuff out there?

Reply to
mich

I don't know about decent, but there was IntelliCad. There was a bit of an intellicad culture around for a while, but I think sumpn sumpn or other happened to the open-ness of the source code. I have a legal copy of ca. 1996 Intellicad. For all the good it did me. :)

Reply to
Proctologically Violated©®

open gl is open source isn't it?

I love the whole open souce idea.

Reply to
vinny

Again, (am I repeating myself?), going to Direct X 10 means going to Vista, and going to Vista means that you will lose a lot of speed. The Windows XP and Open GL combination will outperform Vista Direct X 10.

Reply to
mich

Quite the paradox, that they will have to "optimize" for Vista and still have software that runs slower (unless you spend $$ for a new computer!).

Reply to
mich

Change credit card companies?

Or are you confusing credit cards with video cards like you confuse CAD with CAM?

Reply to
brewertr