Re: Second Try On Open GL Vs Direct X 2

Didn't really get the input I was looking for in the Open GL vs.

> Direct X thread. While doing some investigation I can across this: > >
> "New Shader-Based DirectX 9 Driver: This new driver offers significant > performance gains over OpenGL, particularly on Windows Vista and on XP > systems with advanced video card support. As a shader-based driver, > performance is consistently fast when drawing primitives such as lines > and edges which are inconsistently supported in OpenGL. Also, the > driver fully supports shadow maps, which allow developers to insert > fully interactive shadows into their scenes." > > "Full Support of Vista: With this release HOOPS is fully supported on > Vista. On this platform developers are encouraged to take advantage of > the new DirectX driver which can offer significant performance > improvements over OpenGL.."

If your GL is open, you should probably zip it shut before you embarrass yourself.

If your X is really Direct, then it shouldn't need any shader based drivers, shadow puppets, telletubby tuners, Willy Wonka Windows Whatsits, or anything else of the sort.

Most of the people in this group are machinists, Jon. We don't care about all the buzzwords and gobbledygook. We want to click a mouse, enter some numbers, and get either A. Drawings, or B. CNC code - both of which are intended to make something of value in the real world.

Hell, even when I'm using C++ on WinXP to write DLL's and VB API's, I still don't care about all the buzzwords and computer geek stuff. I just want it to complile into something that will run a machine without screwing up.

Criminy!

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Why not take this to another NG? I don't mean to be negative, but this is probably not the place where you will get these kinds of answers.

Reply to
mich

Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Really, whatya writing? Anything related to machining or data control?

Reply to
vinny

Why not stop snipping posts? Its rude az he77.

Besides, I happen to think opengl smokes direct x on gaming and cad/cam but if I'm wrong I'd sure like to know why?

Reply to
vinny

I reposted what was relevant.

Reply to
mich

I ran tec soft over at bings shop...dude...it was crapolla! However, I understand they were some of the first ones to write cam software, so they are significant i guess. WHat I care about is what are the chip manufacturers making drivers for? I always thought linux was a better OS than windows, but because of drivers I use windows? Youd think direct x would get more attention due to windows but It seems the opposite?

This is only in games because ive seen no cad in directx, but i swear direct x looks cartoonish relative to opengl?

Reply to
vinny

You just defined censorship. Besides, you gonna tell me you dont use a computer at work or home for games or for cad/cam? Comon....what kinda card you got in your box at home?

Reply to
vinny

No censorship here; I didn't prevent anybody from writing anything.

Reply to
mich

what is it? Cad/Cam Software developers kit?

I did notice one thing, they mentioned both open gl and direct x in the add evenly.

Reply to
vinny

Well... That discussion took place years ago, so lots of things have changed. Since then I've designed, built, and delivered a few dozen CNC machine tools that work in the real world. I've programmed and installed a CAM-type UI for some customized grinding machines that have saved a customer a lot of time and money. I've designed, built, and written the software for a computerized optical gauging system that I'm pretty proud of, and that's now being used as an in-process control for automated machines that grind carbide inserts. And I've taken a job in the real world, repairing, maintaining, and upgrading 22 CNC machine tools, mostly Mazaks and Star Swiss Types.

But I still use AutoCad. It works for me.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

Everything I do is related to machining. User interfaces for CNC controls. Image gathering and processing for an optical gauging system that works as a stand-alone inspection tool, or, more recently, as an in-process control on some grinding machines. Stuff like that.

I don't enjoy software that just moves bits around in a computer. That bores the hell out of me. But when I push a button and something real happens, it's the coolest thing I know.

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

We bought a chevellier grinder a couple of years back, surface grinder. We had the software customized to do some profile grinding. Added plunging routines, etc.. Never worked worth a frig. We put the original chip in and wrote a post processor for mastercam to run it. Ended up writing one for the easy surf grinder also. Ill tellya, if you can write software for either of those two grinders let me know. Mastercam works ok, but it sure would be nice to actually run software made for profile grinding on a surface grinder instead of doctored up milling software.

Reply to
vinny