Socket Head Cap Screw Clearances

Does anyone know why the hole wizard clearance sizes for screws does not match those listed in the Machinery's Handbook? For example, if I use SW to add a clearance hole for a #8 screw, it says the normal fit is .177, but the Machinery's Handbook states it is .194. If I want a .

194 hole in SW, I have to use the loose fit (which isn't even an option in the Machinery's Handbook).
Reply to
runnik

Prolly depends on where the standard came from.

Either would work, because the mach handbook states that a #8 socket head cap screw should have a body diameter of .164 to .1585

I've often wondered where solidworks pulls all of its information from. Standards wise.

having a hard time with a customer right now over standards. They draw something non-standard, but then reference a standard. So which one should I go by? heh

I never try to assume because 9/10 times Im the only one that becomes the ass.

Reply to
tnik

Either one may not always work. If you read the definitions of a close fit and a normal fit, they're supposed to be used in certain circumstances.

I would be interested to know where they got their info from too.

haha That sounds like fun.

Reply to
runnik