Best epoxy for engine block repairs

OK, you folks have convinced me that epoxy will work for cast iron engine block repairs; in my case to fix a long crack in the water jacket. Would you comment on which epoxies have worked for you? JB Weld is the old standard, but it has been pointed out that there are better products. Thanks again!

John

Loctite puts on a 1-day seminar of adhesives. At the end of it all they give you a Ziploc bag full of samples. I go once per year, the samples keep my home stocked

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/loctite_us/loctite_content.cfm?pageid27&layout=2

An update on the search for the perfect engine block repair epoxy - The Belzona Super Metal looks like the ticket - only problem is the minimum amount is 2 kg (about 1 quart) and it cost $300 plus shipping! Anyone want to split an epoxy order with me?

John

Belzona Super Metal (1111) is the absolute best for engine block repairs. Caterpillar specifies Belzona for engine repairs. Belzona does not rot, shrink, or corrode. Other products, when tested in the exact same tests, all have lower mechanical properties. If you are after good long term results, the Belzona products are very inexpensive.

I'd check at a Cat Dealer w/parts and engine repair shop. I'm not familiar with Belzona but usually if Cat specs something it's available through their parts department

This place appears to sell it in 1kg quantities (don't know at what price though):

http://www.poseidon-marine.com /

Go to their catalogue page, and search for item number: 812351 -- Ilya

Yes there are better products for this job than JB weld, but JB weld is still pretty good. After all it has been patched before with it and I gather it lasted for a long time. Also I gather that you are looking for something temporary until you can get it welded. JB weld would be my choice. Its cheap, readily available and will probably do the job you want done. We used it at work to patch a similar crack in an 80 KW engine/generator set. The patch was replaced twice over a period of seven years then the e/g was replaced, at this time the crack was poperly repaired , the old e/g placed an a trailer and is still being used as a portable unit.

Site Timeline