Converting my wire feed to gas...???

O.K. it is time for me to convert my small wire feed machine to gas. I have been running flux core wire in my small wire feed machine, but I can no longer stand the ugly welds, smoke and spatter. I recently purchased at an auction a Miller econotig, but still need to purchase my argon tank for it, so here is my question....I have both the econotig and my wire feed on the same cart, should I purchase one large tank for argon and run both machines off of that, or, should I purchase a seperate tank for my wire feed ( which is the welder I use most of the time) and should I run CO2 in my wire feed since it is cheaper and I don't need the heat that the argon would give me??? I have no reason to tig anything but just got such a good deal at the auction, and of course, since I have the tig I will be trying it out, but a bottle of argon my last me for years....I understand CO2 is much cheaper...... so mayber I purchase a large bottle for my CO2 and a small bottle for just Argon.......Any advice will help me sort out the options.

Thanks

Reply to
Bruce

You really have no choice. Mig welding doesn't work with straight argon, you need an argon mix or CO2, except for aluminum. You do need pure argon for Tig. I suggest you buy a small bottle of argon for the Tig and CO2 or 75/25 Argon/CO2 for the mig.

Tom

n 28 Oct 2003 06:09:05 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@bpla.com (Bruce) wrotE:

Reply to
Thomas A.Dixon

Fluxcore actually has less spatter when its setup well with nice wire although the finished weld has flux on it.

one large tank for argon and run both machines off of that, or, >should I purchase a separate tank for my wire feed

You'll need more argon. TIG likes pure argon with steel and aluminum and MIG can be various mixes, like 75% argon and 25% CO2. You could buy or make a manifold and make your own mix. With the TIG using pure argon and the MIG using 75% argon, I would say a big tank of argon and a smaller one of CO2. If you've got more money to burn, get a tank of helium and O2 and you've got all the bases covered.

Reply to
Zorro

cheaper and I don't need the heat that the argon would give me?

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Thanks for all the advice. The local high school shop instructor must have it wrong...he told me that argon would be hotter than the CO2. Do most of you use a argon/co2 mix??? I thought the flux core wire was giving me more spatter than gas shielded. I am using good quality wire ( some of the time..)still the spatter and weld clean up seem excessive. I am building small sculptures and need my welds to be cleaner...any other suggestions?? I believe my set-up is correct, lets assume that it is...in the interest of resolving the gas issue. Ernie is the god of welding here....what are you using Ernie???

Thanks again for the advice...this is a great board.

Reply to
Bruce

I thought I could jump in till Ernie gets back... Tell us what machine you are using.

It depends on how you look at the question. He is right in that an argon *mix* requires a lower voltage setting and therefore could be considered hotter at exact comparable settings. This would only matter on a maxed out machine where you had no more adjustment options. Normally with correct settings for the gas and material size, pure CO2 will seem hotter and messier.

The first roll of fluxcore I used was the Lincoln NR-211MP from Home Depot. It welded fine and I thought all fluxcore would be about the same. Now after using other wire I think the Lincoln wire burns harsh, with more "dig", noise and spatter. (listening to the sound can tell you if the weld is going ok)

A good MIG or FCAW(fluxcore) setup will give *some* spatter. Contamination and coatings on the metal add to the spatter. Clean and pure steel(no galvanize coat) will give the least spatter. Your machine probably uses short circuit transfer which means the wire is constantly burning back and then dipping many times a second. You can adjust the cycle by changing the distance from gun to puddle. The sound will tell you when you have it smoothest. As one of my rules, the more rat-a-tat-tat the welding sounds, the more spatter I'll have on either flux or solid wire. I try to adjust the gun distance close enough to get the smoothest sound I can get while still wetting in well.

Reply to
Zorro

C25 (75% Argon - 25% CO2) is the standard of the industry in the US for hard wire MIG and now Dual shield too.

The best flux-core wires I have used are ESAB wires. Try some coreshield 8 for Flux-core welding.

No I am simply a humble servant in service to the god of welding.

C25 for steel and dual shield.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler