Hose handlers

Actually...

I have a big reel (military) with a hub that has a appx. 3/4 inch square hole.

Is there some way to make a hose reel out of it for air hose? The air would somehow need to enter the reel in the center of the hub's axis.

Ignoramus15568

"SteveB" wrote: (clip) I go to the local tire store, get free used or bent tires, and weld them to a post. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I couldn't find rubber welding rod. I'm sure you meant bent *wheels*.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'm not sure what you mean by the square hole. Does this pass through the spindle that the reel turns on? Is the hole just through the reel and not the spindle?

Assuming that your 3/4" hole runs through the entire assembly, there should be more than enough room for a piece of 3/8" (nominal) pipe to fit through. Mounting this at the suppert end and supplying air to it are left as an exercise for the student. ;) You could then use a quick coupler as your swivel, mounted on the outboard end of the pipe, concentric with the axis of the spindle/reel, and then with the appropriate combination of elbows and bits of pipe convey the air to the portion of the reel where you'd like to attach the hose.

If this won't work, you'll have to provide us with some more information... --Glenn Lyford

Reply to
glyford

I noticed a thread about hose reels. So, I just wanted to say that when I want a "hose handler", I go to the local tire store, get free used or bent tires, and weld them to a post. Do not get too narrow a tire, or you won't get much hose on there. I have people asking me to make them for them all the time. Simple, quick, cheap. Couple of sacks of concrete, and you're good to go.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

You didn't look very hard: :-)

so they're plastic. They should still work fine on a rubber tire. (I think a wheel would be easier to work with tho...)

Reply to
Bill Smith

Standard plumbing fittings can be used to run a tube from the reel out the end. Use a 90 degree air swivel fitting at the shaft end.

I acquired a big old squirrel cage fan free. I removed the fan blades and mounted an old wood wire reel in its place. Drilled into the end of the shaft a hole which I threaded with a pipe thread and screwed in a swivel fitting. Drilled another hole through the side of the shaft to intersect the end hole, and threaded that also for the hose end. Hooked up a gear reduced motor to the pulley on the other end, with an idler pulley to pull the belt tight to wind the hose up. I have a pull handle to tighten the idler, with a push button in the end of the handle to power the motor. I've got 200 feet of 3/8" hose on that reel, mounted right above the side door to my garage. I can reach anywhere in my yard with air, and wind the hose back up in seconds.

Reply to
Bob F

I believe the 90 degree rotating fittings are commonly available. Grainger? Northern Tools?

Guys? Guys? Help me here.

Don't forget the quick connects.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sounds like SOMEONE needs to practice more. Tires are difficult, but not impossible to weld. Trick is finding the right rods .................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I got my first one at tool town.

Reply to
Bob F

You can get a swivel fitting, or just use a quick-connect pair for your

Reply to
stans4