2 Hour Charge Time When Using Graupner Lipo Charger 4?

Ive just bought a Graupner lipo charger 4 and am using it to charge up

1600mAh packs.

There are no Amperage controls on the charger and it is supposed to auto detect the cells, but when I charge a pack it takes over 2 hours to fully charge it.

I charged a pack via a multimeter last night and it was only charging at 750mAh (rather than the 1600mAh I would expect) and it took about 15 mins to build up to that; it seemed to spend most of its time during that 15mins at 50mAh.

...is the charger faulty or is there something else I could be doing wrong?

I am using a brand new 1600mAh pack and a two week old 1600mAh pack, both from flight power so I dont think the packs are faulty?

...does it matter that they are not Graupner packs?

Thanks

David Bevan

junk1

David, I do not know about your setup, but my Triton takes around 1 hour, 45 minutes to charge a 3000 mah Kokam. It seems to take about the same amount of time regardless of the state of charge when I recharge the pack.

Reply to
Marvin

It measures the resistance of the cell (and wiring) to determine the charge rate, so if you put a lot of wires in the circuit the charge rate goes down. 1-1/2 to 2 hours for a full charge is about right though.

Rick.

Reply to
rpage53

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

| I do not know about your setup, but my Triton takes around 1 hour, 45 | minutes to charge a 3000 mah Kokam.

The Triton will only do 2.5 amps tops when charging Lipoly batteries, so it won't even do 1 C on your battery. The charger is capable of doing 5 amps with NiCd/NiMH cells, so I'm guessing they added this limitation (since obviously the hardware _is_ capable of 5 amps) in the name of `safety'. Annoying.

1.75 hours sounds about right in your case.

| It seems to take about the same amount of time regardless of the | state of charge when I recharge the pack.

Probably because the state of discharge usually pretty similar when you start charging. The Triton starts off slow, then speeds up to the specified speed in a few minutes, then slows down as the battery gets to be fully charged. Due to the ramping up and ramping down of the charge rate at the beginning and end of the charge cycles, charges take longer than the charge rate would indicate, and the state of discharge makes less of a difference in how long a charge takes. But still, the more discharged your battery is, the longer it will take. A battery that's 75% discharged will take perhaps twice as long to charge as one that's 25% discharged, even though it needs three times as much current.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

AMini 3D with an AXI 2820-12 on it! I also use a 2000 mah pack, but have to shift it forward since it is 2 oz lighter.

Reply to
Marvin

I have just spent the last hour reading a very informative thread on this particular charger, you may find it useful.

I think that I will get one!

View this thread:

Garvey

Just checked the link, it should include the second line as well. Hope it it works with this post!

8b01&t=315666

Reply to
Garvey

Try pasting the url between brackets like this:

(hopefully this will actually work) - it keeps it together.

-LeeH

---------- Garvey wrote:

Reply to
Lee Hopper

Thanks for the tip Lee. I'll try that in future.

> 8b01&t=315666

Reply to
Garvey

58b01&t=315666>