A Solution....Yes its about AMA

Reply to
Roger

| It is a Federal Offense to intentionally interfere with a radio signal. | The Attitude of "Me First and to Hell with you" is typical of the Me | Generation, primarily those born between 1975 and the present. Their | parents forgot that Discipline must come from within, but it must be taught.

I missed it where anybody mentioned `intentionally interfering with a radio signal' (besides you, of course.) You'll have to show us exactly where it was described. I'll go ahead and not trim the message so you can find the relevant part.

Also, the law is a bit more complicated than that. Deliberate interference is generally illegal, as far as I know, but the R/C bands are not guaranteed to be free of interference for you or anybody else.

*Nobody* is guaranteed use of a particular frequency in that band, and merely being an AMA member, being in an AMA club or at an AMA field does not give you any more rights to a given frequency than anybody else has.

and
be of some assistance in understanding the rules and regulations that apply to the use of R/C radio equipment in the US.

In particular, pay attention to this passage --

(b) You must share the channels with other R/C stations. You must cooperate in the selection and use of the channels. You must share the Channel 27.255 MHz with stations in other radio services. There is no protection from interference on any of these channels.

And no, I'm not a lawyer. But I do know what I'm talking about here.

| Doug McLaren wrote: | > In article , | > Paul McIntosh wrote: | > | > | That is a REAL FINE attitude! Sure to win friends everywhere. Why not do | > | it sometime and see how long you and your little foam toy last. | > | > What's wrong with his attitude? He's absolutely right, as long as | > local regulations don't prohibit flying outside the AMA field. | > | > And as long as he takes care to make sure that the frequency he uses | > doesn't interfere with anybody else, there's not even anything morally | > wrong with him flying near the AMA field. | > | > | > All this nonsense about the AMA. I can fly my foamy park flyer in full | > | > view of your club/field/nazi camp without AMA or have no insurance at | > | > all. And there ain't a damm thing you can do about it.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Actually its.....you snooze you lose.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R

Until it happens to you.

Paul McIntosh

But Paul, the simple fact is he's right! And judging by the "attitude" of your post, you could find yourself facing charges for assault! Or are you just blowing wind again?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Where in the AMA bible does it say YOU will check for and be courteous to other, non-AMA flyers in your area? No! It doesn't Paul and that's part of the problem. The AMA and you seem to think that the AMA and you rule the roost when it comes to R/C! There are other people in this world and you had best learn to live with them! Or are you one of those with the bed sheet robes that hide under a pointy hood?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Again I will say this Paul.................You snooze you loose Or the appropriate thing to do is both parties walk up to each other and check frequencies and if there is a conflict......just gonna have to wait < club member > or parkflyer and club member take turns.

Reply to
Mike R

You obviously do not know what you are talking about. If you're going to make statements about the AMA rules, you should invest the time to read them first. It took me 10 minutes to find the text on this subject. It is in document 551. The rules start by saying "I will not knowingly operate my model within three miles of any pre-existing flying site...". They go on to list the guidelines for frequency sharing agreements. These agreements can be between AMA clubs or members and other AMA clubs, members, on NON_AMA members.

The AMA wants to avoid problems between anyone, not just AMA members. The same can be said for just about anyone flying. Only a fool would want to fly somewhere where they might get shot down by a radio conflict. One of the biggest risks is actually someone who has never heard of the AMA and ends up flying near an established field.

Reply to
C G

| Until it happens to you.

Until what happens to me? I become a lawyer? FCC regulations change? My R/C plane experiences interference?

And suppose one of these things happens? Then what?

Face it. If you're using one of the R/C bands, you don't own your frequency, and if a park flier wants to fly right outside your nice AMA club, legally you're going to have to share frequencies with him, like it or not.

The only recourse you have is the possibility of local regulations prohibiting R/C flying outside of your club -- some places do have these, but most don't.

In fact, since he's flying at a site next to yours, that would make it a flying site, and so your AMA regulations would require you to not fly until you've made a frequency sharing arrangement wih his site (or just him, I guess.) Failure to do so would put your AMA insurance in jeopardy, not to mention your plane. The AMA does have contracts set up for these arrangements, but I imagine that a short term, verbal agreement would be acceptable for the day.

Of course, since he's not an AMA member, he has no such restrictions. But he must `cooperate in the selection and use of the channels', so the most reasonable interpetation of that rule means that he should walk over to your field and work out who's on what frequency and take turns if needed. If you fail to cooperate so, *you* are breaking the law, and the AMA isn't likely to do much to help you.

| > (b) You must share the channels with other R/C stations. You must | > cooperate in the selection and use of the channels. You must share | > the Channel 27.255 MHz with stations in other radio services. There | > is no protection from interference on any of these channels.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On the contrary, I knew they were there. But I was hoping Paul would point out the error as only he can! That way I would know he was intentionally ignoring AMA guidelines. No doubt for his own ego boost!

I would suggest there are a great many fools in this hobby! Both inside and outside the AMA!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Like civilized people? I don't think too many here qualify!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

No, I'm not a republican.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

But that is all beside the point to the anarchists.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have no problem sharing frequencies as long as it is done in a mature manner. For someone to say they can just start up and fly anywhere they want (just because they CAN) is an immature and unreasonable attitude. The feeling I got from the poster was that he could show up with whatever transmitter channel he wanted and start flying. I didn't see any mention of civility or checking for interference or frequency sharing.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

| I have no problem sharing frequencies as long as it is done in a mature | manner. For someone to say they can just start up and fly anywhere they | want (just because they CAN) is an immature and unreasonable attitude.

Perhaps, but the law is on his side if he does decide to do so.

You could ask him to leave, or ask him to at least try and coordinate frequencies with you, but you can't force him to do either. The law says that he (and you) must share the frequencies, but doesn't give any more specifics than that.

| The feeling I got from the poster was that he could show up with | whatever transmitter channel he wanted and start flying. I didn't | see any mention of civility or checking for interference or | frequency sharing.

I didn't see you mention how you'd be civil or check for interference either --

That is a REAL FINE attitude! Sure to win friends everywhere. Why not do it sometime and see how long you and your little foam toy last.

Assuming that there is a frequency conflict, I suspect that his little foam toy will last longer than your big built up beast. Certainly, you probably have a lot more to lose than he does.

In any event civility is completely optional. Suggested, but optional. The FCC regulations certainly don't require it, and I don't think the AMA rules do either, though some of their literature does suggest it.

Like it or not, you do have to share the frequencies with park fliers, and when you do, the way you approach the problem will probably have a large bearing on how it turns out. If you're friendly about it, it'll probably turn out fine. If you're not friendly, but instead tell the guy to take a hike, call the police or assualt him or something, the park flier may cause you enough problems that you'll wish you'd just packed up and gone home -- either by causing deliberate (but almost impossible to prove) interference for you, or calling in noise complaints against your club, etc.

| > Doug McLaren, snipped-for-privacy@frenzy.com | > A: Because it destroys the flow of conversation. | > Q: Why is top posting dumb? --clover_kicke

Reply to
Doug McLaren

may be of some assistance in understanding the rules and regulations

Reply to
Roger

When did this become an AMA newsgroup? Now you claim the right to all frequencies and this news group?

If you and you're AMA buddies don't like it here then you leave.

Reply to
AAA

I "do it" alsmost every weekend. A little white glue and I got my plane fixed. But then there's revenge. Suppose your $400 toy gets shot down? And don't say you'll use physically violence because we both know that's BS.

If your club really gets on my nerves I can sit with a scanner and close your club. It's actually more 'fun factor' then flying. And there still isn't a damm thing you can do about it.

Reply to
AAA

Why not? That's what the AMA does.

You assumption is correct. Your club bars me from frequency control. Have each of you're AMA members come over to me and ask if their frequency interfers with me.

Plus most clubs are on public land, that my tax money paid for. The clubs say that I have to pay to use some dirt lot? Most clubs charge $50 iniation fee and then have the balls to charge $50 yearly dues. Plus $50 for the AMA. For use of free public lands and a lot of bullshit from the club members. I have no respect or need of any of you. But have fun in your club.

Reply to
AAA

So the club should wait until _I_ finish flying.

Reply to
AAA