Am I legal to use the 10 meter band?

I recently came into a high-band RC transmitter, which I understand requires an amateur license to use. When I got my pilot license 30 years ago I also got a radio-telephone license in the bargain- 5 WPM Morse code and all. My question is, is that sufficient to use the RC radio legally or do I need to get an Amateur license as well?

Reply to
TexMex

You will need to get a ham license. I am not familiar with the radio-telephone lisence, so I don't know if they are the same.

Reply to
Vance Howard

As far as I know, there are no legal uses of R/C transmitters on the 10 meter (28-30mHz) band.

The 11 meter (27mHz) sometimes referred to as "Citizen's Band" has been used for R/C. More common is the 6 meter band (50+mHz). If that's the radio you have, then a Technician class amateur license is required to operate it legally in the USA. No Morse code test is required for the license.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

They are not the same thing. In fact, if you haven't been paying the fees to renew it, you may not have what you think you do. They aren't good for a lifetime. Of course now a days a pilot doesn't need that license anymore unless you fly internationally.

On the other hand it's got to be a rare find to locate a 10 meter transmitter, 6 meters is common now a days.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

Having received my pilots license in the 50's, it was required to have a third class (restricted) radio telephone license to use the radios.

It only required an application and a few bucks. No test or code involved. I remember at the time being upset with it because I was a licensed ham (W4JLE)

Reply to
w4jle

Simply get yourself a technician class ham radio operators license. No code is required and you can study the question pool on line. (see

No code was required for the old 3rd class (restricted) radio telephone license for aircraft use.

Fred (ASMEL Comm Inst PP glider LR Jet & DC3 typed)

Reply to
w4jle

You'll likely need more than that. Unless something has changed recently, no-code Technicians don't have privileges on the 10 meter band.

For a small portion of 10 meters, you can use a Technician license

*plus* a certificate proving you've passed the 5 word-per-minute morse code exam (i.e., Element 1). This sub-band is listed as the "Novice and Technician Plus" sub-band on some frequency charts, referring to no longer issued (but grandfathered) license classes. See, for example:
For most of 10 meters, you'll need a General or higher license.

The lowest band on which no-code Technicians have privileges is 6 meters, which happens to be an R/C band.

Reply to
Eric Ellington

Reply to
w4jle

If I might interject my thoughts....

Yes, the old third class restricted is no good for the ham bands. I hold a GROL (general radio operators license) which used to be the old First and Second Phone License and it's no good for the ham bands. I also hold a General class ham ticket.

I have an old radio that was built by a late friend, in the 60's, that is on

29.590 MHz and I have been doing research as to whether or not I can use it. I already fly on 6 meters, both 50 and 53 MHz.

The R/C frequencies in the 6 meter band are set aside by what is called a Band Plan. This is an ARRL only plan and not FCC requirements. However, the FCC endorses most things the ARRL does in planning. I have researched the regulations on R/C in the ham regs and there are no dedicated R/C frequencies. The only FCC limitation is power which is 1 watt. The best I can determine, I would be legal with this radio. Yes, there is the possibility of interference, but I have been monitoring the band and have not detected any transmissions.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

I also had to get the radio-telephone license as a requirement for getting my pilot's license but that is not mandated anymore and had nothing to do with a Ham license. You WILL NEED to get your Ham license to fly Ham R/C radios, but nowadays, it's not all that hard to get the basic non-code Tech license which is all you'll need.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

That is true if he only flys on 6 meters and above. 10 meters will require a General ticket.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Regarding 6 meters, where an explicit R/C allocation exists in the band plan, your response was certainly apropos. Technician is all he'd need here.

However, on 10 meters, which is the band referred to in the title, he'd likely need a General or higher unless the transmitter in question worked on the Novice sub-band (where a Technician Plus equivalent is sufficient).

Reply to
Eric Ellington

Reply to
w4jle

Thanks all. I misspoke- I should have referenced the 6 meter 50 Mhz, not 10 meter band. I'll start studying the ham test :(. Thanks for the input and link.

Reply to
TexMex

The range of R/C equipment made for the ham bands is limited. Only standard size receivers and crystals, if you can get them.

Is your club insurance valid if you use Ham band?

I don't use the Ham bands for R/C. ZL2BLL

Vic

Reply to
The Shaw's

Can you site the regs for that. I have looked and looked and I can't find anything to prevent it.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

It's not for lack of looking, but I can't find anything in the regs that prohibits 10 meter R/C.

According to FCC Part 97.215:

-------- An amateur station transmitting signals to control a model craft may be operated as follows:

(a) The station identification procedure is not required for transmissions directed only to the model craft, provided that a label indicating the station call sign and the station licensee's name and address is affixed to the station transmitter.

(b) The control signals are not considered codes or ciphers intended to obscure the meaning of the communication.

(c) The transmitter power must not exceed 1 W.

--------

There is language in Subpart C (97.201 - 97.221) that restricts frequencies for controlling other radios and for controlling satellites, but I don't see anything restricting frequencies for R/C models.

I realize this is moot for most, but you've got my curiosity piqued.

Reply to
Eric Ellington

Time to drag out the regs again, the confusing part is that 97.215 or 6 (off the top of my head) seems to indicate that the only limitation is one watt.

If I remember correctly, the limitati>

Reply to
w4jle

no, the radio phone liscence is expired and you need to get a ham liscence.

do it, the test is too easy nowadays.

tater schuld

Regs aside, assuming that you can legally operate at 1W (max.) to fly an RC model in the 10 Meter band, why in the world would you want to??? YOU, as we all agree, would be limited to 1W, but other Hams on that SAME BAND are authorized to use lots and lots of watts for non-RC uses. Other than the serendipitous fun of watching Hams from all over the world taking over the control of your aircraft (unintentionally), it doesn't make much sense when you can operate in an RC specific band (72mhz) that offers a high level of protection from interference. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Tech from way back when I HAD to learn the code. But in all these years pursuing both Ham and RC hobbies, I've never had the inclination to buy a Ham RC radio because ever since they opened up the RC band from 10 to 50 channels, there has never been a reason to. And now with synthesized RC radios where you can pick any channel you want to fly on, for the life of me, I can't imagine even one advantage for using Ham RC.

MJC

"w4jle" wrote in message news:bu45kd$11lu$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net...

requirements

Reply to