Am I legal to use the 10 meter band?

Reply to
jim breeeyar

Big snips..........

I want to, because I have a vintage Orbit analog system that I am reconditioning and it was built by a late friend and he put it on 10 meters. It is not practical to put it back on 11 meters as you know of the CB band. I also don't want to go through the hastle to put it on 6 meters. It will only be flown in vintage fly ins.

I can alter, experiment, change frequencies, fly downlinked video, downlink flight data, repair etc on the ham bands without a problem. I basically, except for one fellow, don't have any frequency conflicts.

I also have 72 MHz stuff and flinch each time someone shows up on my channel. I especially watch the newbies since most don't have a clue yet about frequency control. Two fellows showed up one day on a common channel. Both transmitters were marked for two different channels and neither one was marked for the channel they were on! They just couldn't understand how that happened! I would pitty the poor sole that was on the channel they were transmitting on. Luckly, we found it because one of the fellows left his copter on and it wiggled when the other fellow turned on.

If you are not an experimenter and basically an appliance operator then you would not see any advantage.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Forget it! You're not legal. Even if you could operate on 10 meters (28Mhz to 29.7Mhz) There are no special allocations for RC, so at any time someone may come on your frequency and shoot you down. Good probagation on ten meters is frequent and can be from the other side of the world. There a lot of outlaw Spanish speaking transmitters operating on temn meters.

On the 6 meter band (50MHZ to 54Mhz) there are two areas reserved for radio control by US amateurs. There are 8 frequencies from 53.1 to

53.8Mhz spaced at 100Khz and there are newer band 50.8 to 51.0Mhz for ten channels spaced 20Khz apart.

I have several radios that operate on 6 meters and have had them for years. However all my newer equipment is in the FCC RC channels in the

70Mhz range. For one thing if you ever want to sell any equipment your market is reduced to only amatuer radio operators if you're on 6 meters. I also used to get new equipment on different frequencies. I now just stick to 3 frequencies and use transmitters that allow setting up more than aircraft.

You would be much better off getting a new 4 channel system, or better, operating in the FCC RC channels running from 27Mhz to 71Mhz some of these are reserved for cars and some are aircraft.

In any event, any RC ham radio stuff on the ten meter band has got to be junk and not suitable for attempting to fly any kind of aircraft, especially if you want to fly it more than once.

Regards, Stan

Reply to
Tim

Can you site the regs that back up your assumption? I can't seem to find any.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

If you have a valid General class or higher Amateur license, you can transmit on all or portions of the 28 MHZ (10 meter band) legally. You cannot use those frequencies, however, for "remotely controlled" operation.

You'll have to show all of us where in the FCC rules and regs it says you can use these frequencies for such operations.

If it doesn't say that you can, than you can't.

Dick Pettit WA2ROC Associate Editor R/C REPORT Magazine

Reply to
Dick pettit

Dick, I can't even find where in the FCC regs that says you can use the 6 meter band for R/C. Note: Not the ARRL band plan is not the FCC reg and that is the only place I can find that defines the 6 meter band for R/C.

Also, that the FCCs definition of "remotely controlled" is relative to remotely controlling a remote ham transmitter. Such as you are in a valley and your main xmitter is on a mountain top. This "remotely controlled" is not R/C as we know it.

Therefore, since you must site the regs must give permission, we are not legal on 6 meters either.

I'm will to learn.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

I hate to intrude in here, but 97.305 says you can use Data on 28.0 - 28.3 Mhz, and RC control is a data transmission.

The AMA doesn't show 10 meters as being a frequency of use, and so I'd bet if a person chose to use 10 meters which is legal, they would not be able to fly at an AMA event.

If you want other bands to use, look in the chart given in 97.305 for emission types and where they can be used.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

It seems to me the larger issue in using 10 meters for R/C airplanes is how safe it is, interference wise.

Whether it's legal or not is secondary when the band opens up and is bombarded with high powered amateur voice and CW traffic from all over the world, in addition to "local" signals.

28mHz isn't line of sight, as is, for the most part, the 72mHz 'normal' R/C frequencies (USA).

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I agree that it's not a good idea, but remember 6 meters can have the same issues on occasion.

Reply to
Matthew P. Cummings

Fortunately portions of 6 meters are set aside for R/C use....not the case with 10 meters.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

This is considered telecommand and the applicable information is in Part 91 of FCC regs:

c) The following frequency bands and segments are authorized to telecommand stations:

(1) The 17 m, 15 m, 12 m and 10 m bands, 6 mm, 4 mm, 2 mm and 1 mm bands; and (2) The 7.0-7.1 MHz, 14.00-14.25 MHz, 144-146 MHz, 435-438 MHz, 1260-1270 MHz and 2400-2450 MHz, 3.40-3.41 GHz, 5.65-5.67 GHz, 10.45-10.50 GHz and

24.00-24.05 GHz segments.

(d) A telecommand station may transmit one-way communications

Reply to
W4JLE

This is considered telecommand and the applicable information is in Part 91 of FCC regs:

c) The following frequency bands and segments are authorized to telecommand stations:

(1) The 17 m, 15 m, 12 m and 10 m bands, 6 mm, 4 mm, 2 mm and 1 mm bands; and (2) The 7.0-7.1 MHz, 14.00-14.25 MHz, 144-146 MHz, 435-438 MHz, 1260-1270 MHz and 2400-2450 MHz, 3.40-3.41 GHz, 5.65-5.67 GHz, 10.45-10.50 GHz and

24.00-24.05 GHz segments.

(d) A telecommand station may transmit one-way communications

Reply to
W4JLE

Do you mean part 97 which is the governing regs for the hams?

The immediate part below you quote is 97.211 and pertains only to Space Telecommand. You are correct about 97.215 being the one that addresses telecommand of aircraft.

Again as I have stated before, according to the FCC regs, if it is legal on 6 meters, it's legal on 10 meters.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Telecommand is defined as on the surface or in space. My read is that the regs apply to R/C specifically call R/C telecommand operations.

Reply to
W4JLE