Any SPA members on the newsgroup?

I just reupped in the SPA (Senior Pattern Association).

As usual, wherever I go, I seem to have stirred up a hornet's nest in the SPA community. It wasn't intentional, honest.

I asked a few questions about the SPA rules that ban pipes and retracts, but instead promote using .91 four-stroke engines running high nitro fuel. Oops!

Honest, it wasn't intentional.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

I would be interested but the SPA seems to be a relatively small group in the southeastern states. If the group expands to the west I'll join in the chat. Sunny_B

Reply to
Sunny_B

Maybe you can be the catalyst that helps it expand?

I was a member when I lived in NJ, but didn't attend any activities. I think there were several in various Mid Atlantic states.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

It is expanding, but seems to be one state per every few years. Started in Georgia, then Alabama, then Tennessee, Florida, and now NC. I don't think there are any sanctioned SPA events in NJ or any mid Atlantic. Or maybe I hadn't noticed. Many of the events are not that small. Just the Master's. Lots of Advanced through Novice.

Reply to
Sport Pilot

We have a group in Nebraska that have three SPA-like contests each summer. We fly the SPA patterns, but can fly any type of plane. It is a great way to get people interested in pattern. I would like to attend some of the other SPA contests, but they are all way down south. Hard to compete with those guys anyway as they can generally fly year-around.

John VB

Reply to
JJVB

I'm glad to hear it is propagating to Nebraska, even if there is only one attendable event.

To me, modern pattern is far too expensive and requires a much more serious mindset than SPA events.

I'm sure some SPA folks take it just as seriously, but there appears to be many like-minded folks in the leisurely section of the crowd too.

I like the simplicity of days gone by. The nostalgia is just as important to me as "winning", if not more so.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger